Basement septic lift station-check valve

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Eagle45, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Eagle45

Eagle45 New Member

Recently had plumber install lift station for our basement sewage. Inspector noted the following missing reqiuirements from the 2-inch ABS discharge pipe:
    -union
    -shutoff
    -check valve.

My main question is what type of backfow valve to use. I picked up one with a flapper valve inside, but a note that came with it indicates this is for a horizontal installation. So I have another valve (photo attached) that slides right inside the 2-inch ABS. Is this the correct valve to use in this application?
    What keeps this type of valve from moving up & down inside the pipe?

Also wondering as to positioning of the 3 missing items. My guess would be, starting at the bottom, the union, then the check valve, then the shutoff at the top? Does it matter what height each is at? I figured the shutoff should be right close to the top where it enters the main sewage line.

For the shutoff, I figured just I would use just an ordinary gate valve?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber