Barbed PE fitting in WA state (indoors)

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
I was just reviewing the following document I've just found which offers a rough-in inspection checklist: http://www.mybuildingpermit.com/Inspection%20Checklists/06IRCUPCMBPPlumbing%20rough%20in%20checklist.pdf (might be worth a look for anyone). One item I noticed that I was unaware of is that apparently (in WA state) a barbed fitting w/ hose clamps on plastic pipe is not suitable indoors; it must be a "Ford fitting".

Inside the building, barbed insert fittings with hose clamps on plastic water pipe are prohibited. A ford fitting
or equal must be installed. (UPC 604.15 as amended by WA State)
(Ironically, not knowing what one is, I did a Google search only to be led back here to another thread that I posted! -- see link below)

But that thread (https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...itting-is-this-Ford-Fitting&highlight=fitting) shows a fitting that is intended to go on copper... at least as far as I know. So is there a version of the ford fitting for plastic that is different than the one referenced in this thread? Or does the one pictured work for both copper and PE?

The place I am using barbed fittings currently is just after PE enters the house, I was using a barbed fitting right-angle followed by another to go to brass threading. I do need the right angle immediately upon entry (2x4 walls) ... so what can I use for that other than a barbed fitting?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Ford fitting uses a rubber gasket in a compression nut, which has a clamp on it to secure the pipe. For plastic pipe you have to use the "stiffener insert".

DavidTu

Reaction score
Thanks HJ... do they make such fittings in a 90 orientation? I need to make a turn as soon as I enter.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
In Seattle, PE is considered suitable for "yard piping" only, and is not allowed to be
used for domestic water service lines, or inside any building. My experience with PE
with the usual barbed fittings is that it is extremely leak-prone. You may want to
reconsider using that stuff for anything except exterior irrigation lines.

DavidTu

Reaction score
Thread resurrection

L86-44 1" Ell Coupling

Ford Fitting C86_L86.jpg

** INSERT-53-72 1"

Ford Fitting - insertstiffener.jpg

Is this the correct line of fittings and the correct insert for the pipe described below? (the picture is the straight, but I want the Ell)
The pipe I'm attaching to is this one: This 1 in. x 100 ft. Polyethylene Pipe is compliant with NSF 14/61 specifications and resists rot, corrosion and chemical damage. The pipe features a 200 psi maximum working pressure. Here is a link: http://www.*********.com/Plumbing-P...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I believe it is made by Hancor and as you can see it is rated for NSF 14/61 so it is indeed suitable for potable water and for water service in seattle PE is specifically listed on their website, so I think we're good there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks