Barbed PE fitting in WA state (indoors)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by DavidTu, Apr 30, 2011.

1. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

I was just reviewing the following document I've just found which offers a rough-in inspection checklist: http://www.mybuildingpermit.com/Inspection%20Checklists/06IRCUPCMBPPlumbing%20rough%20in%20checklist.pdf (might be worth a look for anyone). One item I noticed that I was unaware of is that apparently (in WA state) a barbed fitting w/ hose clamps on plastic pipe is not suitable indoors; it must be a "Ford fitting".

(Ironically, not knowing what one is, I did a Google search only to be led back here to another thread that I posted! -- see link below)

But that thread (http://www.terrylove.com/forums/sho...itting-is-this-Ford-Fitting&highlight=fitting) shows a fitting that is intended to go on copper... at least as far as I know. So is there a version of the ford fitting for plastic that is different than the one referenced in this thread? Or does the one pictured work for both copper and PE?

The place I am using barbed fittings currently is just after PE enters the house, I was using a barbed fitting right-angle followed by another to go to brass threading. I do need the right angle immediately upon entry (2x4 walls) ... so what can I use for that other than a barbed fitting?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The Ford fitting uses a rubber gasket in a compression nut, which has a clamp on it to secure the pipe. For plastic pipe you have to use the "stiffener insert".
  3. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

Thanks HJ... do they make such fittings in a 90 orientation? I need to make a turn as soon as I enter.
  4. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

In Seattle, PE is considered suitable for "yard piping" only, and is not allowed to be
    used for domestic water service lines, or inside any building. My experience with PE
    with the usual barbed fittings is that it is extremely leak-prone. You may want to
    reconsider using that stuff for anything except exterior irrigation lines.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I know they make female elbows, but have not seen a male one, although they could be a special order item.
  6. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

Thread resurrection

L86-44 1" Ell Coupling

Ford Fitting C86_L86.jpg

** INSERT-53-72 1"

Ford Fitting - insertstiffener.jpg

Is this the correct line of fittings and the correct insert for the pipe described below? (the picture is the straight, but I want the Ell)
    The pipe I'm attaching to is this one: This 1 in. x 100 ft. Polyethylene Pipe is compliant with NSF 14/61 specifications and resists rot, corrosion and chemical damage. The pipe features a 200 psi maximum working pressure. Here is a link: http://www.*********.com/Plumbing-P...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I believe it is made by Hancor and as you can see it is rated for NSF 14/61 so it is indeed suitable for potable water and for water service in seattle PE is specifically listed on their website, so I think we're good there.