Banging water pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

KQ2N

Reaction score
Hi All,

Back in the summer I wrote on this forum about the ills of my two dug wells. At this point, the driller is here and down to 115 feet and so far 3 1/2 gal/min. My question, due to where the well is drilled and the placement of my septic leach field/tank etc... it is more practical for me to bring the new drilled water supply line into the cellar on the opposite side of the house from where the prewsent water tank, chlorinator and softener are now set up. That would entail a 40 foot plus run of 1 inch pipe through the cellar if I came in on the opposite side of the cellar. How probable is it that I would experience any of the "banging" or "slapping" of that pipe as the submersible pump cycles on and off. I also heard of "shock absorbers", what exactly are they and how expensive are they? Also, is it advisable to do a 90 elbow on the supply line?

Thanks,

Gary

Speedbump

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

I have never heard of shock absorbers for plumbing lines. Maybe someone else has.

I wouldn't think the extra length would hurt any since it's 1" pipe and you have a low yield well anyway.

Elbows don't hurt anything except for a little added friction loss. Just don't put too many in it if at all possible.

I don't think banging pipes should be a concern anyway. In my experience, this is a rare anomaly.

bob...
kf4mm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks