Backyard Flooding -- Dry-well Linkage

Users who are viewing this thread

william.duncaster

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having a pretty tough time deciding if my linked dry-well was done in the proper way.

I live in a town where homes are separate, but right next to each other. We have been in a drought, but recently have gotten a ton of rain. And, surprise, the back yard flooded. In some areas, we had about 2" of water. Yeah, I learned our yard is the lowest of our 5 adjacent yards to the North, North East, East, South East, and South.

The scenario is that we have two low points in the back yard. One, next to a downspout is closer to the street. This area doesn't flood, but the downspout threatens the crawlspace. Second, next to a patio near the garage, does flood. Here is what it looks like:
Overview.jpg

To help solve the issue, I have installed a pump next to the downspout and a dry-well next to the patio. I linked the two wells together, so that the pump can do it's thing for the downspout all the time and the patio when things get very wet. To prevent water from traveling to the patio area, I put a kink in the linkage pipe. But, I fear the kink was too aggressive and will prevent proper patio drainage.

I think my mistake was installing the patio dry-well outlet too high. It is basically just below the ground surface. My thinking was that this should suffice to prevent flooding as water should flow to the pump if it nears the surface (water nearing the surface likely occurs at both wells anyway...). Also, I can spare the pump a little by not unnecessarily putting every drop from the dry-well into the pump well. Most importantly, I can prevent water from coming from the downspout to the dry-well. The design looks like this:
Drains.jpg

So, the question is, where should the linkage pipe be installed. Or, more importantly, at what height? And, more specifically, at what height at each end?

Thank You,
A

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forum.

Water will seek the lowest level.

So if the input is low, the better the chance of pumping the water out, Before it floods.

Good Luck on your project.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think your plan would work better if the slope in the pipe were more consistent rather than with your "kink".

I feel if the drop in the pipe would be about a foot over the 30 ft, and if you used maybe 3 inch pipe, you could get good flow. If the pipe turns out to be bigger than you need, that is better than if it were not big enough.

william.duncaster

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will dig up the pipe, drop it four inches down the drywell, then slow it drain straight to the pump well...

Exercise!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks