back up sump pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by v1rtu0s1ty, Oct 1, 2006.

1. v1rtu0s1ty

v1rtu0s1ty DIY Senior Member

We just move in to the new house, about 1 month now. Today, there was a power outage. Fortunately, there were thunder and lightning, but rain didn't come. So, that reminds me of installing a backup sump pump. Can someone please recommend to me a reliable backup sump pump for a DIYer like me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil
  2. Raucina

Raucina Previous member

A what pump???

Here in california nobody knows what a sump pump is - probably would go to the sex shop looking for one. Since I hail from Wisconsin, I remember. I also noticed a few 12 volt auto battery units in the Northern tool catalogue that seem reasonably priced. If you have kids however, you can buy a simple hand pump and teach them that paying to burn calories at the gym is foolish when THEY can be your back up 12 volt battery and pump. A few hot dogs or pizza slices in them as fuel can pump thousands of gallons of sump water. Might need a whip or chain to get it all to happen however.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

4. prashster

prashster New Member

There's 2 ways to do this:

If you only want to protect vs power outages, you can get a battery backup. The existing sump/switch plugs into it, and the the battery plugs into the AC outlet. If the power goes, the unit switches to battery power. This is kind of like a UPS that you have for a computer - except greater capacity.

If you want to insure against a pump failure AND a power outage, you can get one of the back up sump units mentioned above. That'll kick in whenever the primary pump fails - which can happen for reasons OTHER than a power outage (burned motor, failing switch, etc.)
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  5. v1rtu0s1ty

Thank you very much folks! Can you also post that device which acts as a UPS? I'm just curious. But definitely, I will go with the earlier link.
  6. prashster

prashster New Member

Whoops. Mean't UPS: Uninterrupted Power Supply. Easier for you to just do a search.

Might want to look into a backup generator to power essential lights and your fridge too.
  7. v1rtu0s1ty

That's the same product posted earlier right, the Aquanot II? I'm very much convinced that I should get this sump pump. How much do those cost? Who sells it? I've done plumbing in some of my project, do you think guys I can install Aquanot II in my existing wimpy sump pump? :D I call it wimpy because the first one installed by builder failed within 30 days. LOL.
  8. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

I saw an episode of "This Old House" where Richard Trethewy displayed a non-electric backup sump pump - ties into the home's water supply and uses the venturi principle to pull water out of the sump. Obviously would waste a fair amount of clean water, but on the other hand, as long as you have city water pressure, the sump pump would work - even if you had a prolonged power outage...
  9. bubb1957

bubb1957 New Member

aquanot 2

I was just doing a search and am seriously considering the Aquanot 2 for a backup pump. Can anyone tell me the width of the base? I have an 18" crock and want to make sure its going to fit with my current Simer 3/4 hp sump. (i know, next one will be a zoeller or hydromatic). The plumbing company I am working with installs "Pro-series" pumps, I would need at least the 1730 model, but those small pumps look kind of wimpy..anyone have any experiene with Pro series? They will install anything I buy, but I would prefer to buy it from the business that is doing the installation.
  10. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

11. sumppumppimp

sumppumppimp New Member

At the widest point it is 9.5" across, that is measuring across the volute to the farthest point.