Avoiding a frozen well and well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

wisconsin girl

Reaction score
My husband and I acquired a cottage with a sand point well. I'm concerned about keeping the well functioning as the temperature drops well below zero. The well pump is located in a small, insulated but UNHEATED "room" attached to the side of the cottage. A plumber told us to turn off the switch to the pump when we are not there, so if there is a problem, the potential water damage would be minimized. We also put two 150 watt light bulbs in the pump room to keep it warmer. Any other suggestions? What is the lowest temperature that the well and well pump can withstand and still function? What happens if it gets too cold? We are keeping the cottage thermostat set to 50 degrees (F) to prevent the pipes from freezing. Thanks for any of your ideas!

R

Rancher

Sounds like a plan! Find out what your neighbors do to keep the pumps and pipes from freezing in your area.

Rancher

Raucina

Reaction score
I'm from Kenosha. I solved most of the frozen pipe issues by moving to California. The mountain cottages are a "bit" more here, but you make up for it with better views, more public land, and lower heating costs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks