auger through the trap

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by plaza500, May 17, 2007.

1. plaza500

plaza500 DIY Member

how the hell do i get an auger through the p trap???
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Snaking

If the entire p-trap is glued, you will probably be limited to using a cannister snake, using a hose and bladder, or some sort of drain chemical. If the clog is further down in the drainpipe, you may need to run a much larger snake snake through a cleanout or vent.

But wait for the pros to weigh in.
  3. plaza500

plaza500 DIY Member

i have a cannister snake, and its just bouncin; around in the overflow pipe, i can;t get it to make the bend at all!!!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

How old is the house. Some real old ones had a trap with a cleanout plug in the bottom and snakes will get caught in it and NEVER make the turn. Other cast iron traps have such a tight bend that the two legs are next to each other, and snakes will not make that bend either.