Are these Concrete? How do I connect PVC?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by froddan, Jul 11, 2007.

1. froddan

froddan New Member

Hi!
    I have some roots in my sewer and need to replace a 10 foot section with PVC.

The pipes are concrete (I think) sections, just short of 3 feet each about 5.5 - 6 " in diameter on the outside. They are connected into eachother because they are larger at one end (this is where the roots are growing).

I have attached a couple of pictures.

How do I connect PVC to these?
    Do I cut the concrete with a saw?
    Should I cut them in the thinner section and use a fernco coupling to PVC, or can I stick the PVC into it? I guess the inside diameter could be 4" then the latter wouldn't work...

Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

I recently cut mine with an angle grinder/diamond blade. It was difficult to manuver and a little tricky to get at the bottom. I am thinking that someone makes a stiff carbide sawzall blade that may work easier.

Repair with the appropriate sized rubber coupling/stainless steel hoseclamp thingy. The OD of the 4" concrete pipe is much larger than that of the 4" PVC so the rubber coupling is flared out a bit. The make those couplings for several diferent types of pipe (clay for example) that are slightly different dimentions so measure accurately.

Here's a tip and old plumber at a supply house passed on to me. Use a razor knife and cut the "stop" out of the center of the rubber coupling and it will slide all the way back on to your pvc, allowing the a tight fit piece to slip into place.

Here's a tip from me. Put in cleanouts while you're at it.
  3. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Roll the rubber back after it's over the pvc side, then roll it back over the adjacent pipe once in place.