Are there any reliable freeze-proof outdoor shower assemblies?

Users who are viewing this thread

3D Artist

Reaction score
I see one Home Depot is selling the Prier model, and a number of other outlets sell the same thing. Is it reliably freeze-proof? We'd be attaching outside the doubled plumbing wall behind the ventless combo washer dryer inside, the wall doubled so there is no plumbing in the exterior wall.

I was thinking the alternative might be to place a blow-out valve in each line, H and C, near the PEX manifold, the lines being home runs to the fixture, and blow the lines dry with a compressor with lines and valves open, water shut off while doing so.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im not from a freezing area and never heard of those valves So Id research by looking at manufacture specs. Ive never even heard of a freeze proof shower valve.
Blowing out a regular valve should work I guess Pressure ballancing might require air connected to both hot and cold at same time or removing cartridge

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've done a few that were freestanding and we have always installed ball valves inside the house with drain ports. Zero warranty for freeze damage.

3D Artist

Reaction score
So I am the original poster and here is what looks pretty foolproof, found on YouTube.

A good brand with good parts all replaceable freeze-proof sillcock with hw and cw, plumbed line an indoor tub with faucet that has a stop. All galvanized pipe.

Here is what the guy that did it says about the drain feature. "I show you an exterior shower I built that will not require getting drained every season. Now, I'm not a 100% certain that the lines will clear themselves completely of water, but I'm fairly certain that this will self-drain every time someone is done using it. If the leg to the tub spigot was shorter, water would be able to vacate easier and also, if the connection to the T was a 45 instead of a 90, it would probably drain better." He is talking about that faucet with stop.

Couldn't you instead just put a valve down there, doesn't need to be that low like the toe-tester level of the faucet. Come out of the sillcock (nice advice to have the union), then 45, short run down to street-type 45 into the tee, and a valve (gate? ball?) under which remains closed all summer, and open all winter. Sign on wall says "always leave lower valve open after use in freezing weather."

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK.. If its just an exterior shower on the outside of the wall, I would install a shower valve inside that uses a handle extension to the exterior and the same setup shown in the video that is all inside the wall.

Moen valves are easy to set up for use as exterior showers in this manner.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That works fine ! A lot of plumbing involves the look if you like the look then its perfect for your application

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I see one Home Depot is selling the Prier model, and a number of other outlets sell the same thing. Is it reliably freeze-proof? We'd be attaching outside the doubled plumbing wall behind the ventless combo washer dryer inside, the wall doubled so there is no plumbing in the exterior wall.

I was thinking the alternative might be to place a blow-out valve in each line, H and C, near the PEX manifold, the lines being home runs to the fixture, and blow the lines dry with a compressor with lines and valves open, water shut off while doing so.
Is this for SW Florida? It never freezes. Might get a day or two close to 32º F, however, Christmas eve and day 1989, South Florida hit 28º for two days and I just moved to Florida that Oct. Vegetation died everywhere 34 years ago.

For those that are not from Florida or never visited, many homes with pools have an outdoor shower if the home was built with an inground pool already installed.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
If all piping is run down hill to out side drain by opening all valves a better chance the system will be drained. Like a freeze proof outside faucet most that freeze faucet isn't pitched correctly or someone leaves hose connected. RV antifreeze for all traps and toilet tanks. Turn off water heater and drain. Leave all valves open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks