Aquapex vs PEX-A

Users who are viewing this thread

Caprieragtop

Reaction score
All,

I've just finished running all my PEX lines. I've not yet attached fittings or valves.

When I was at the plumbing supply store this morning, I asked about the difference between aquapex and PEX-A. I was told that Aquapex is for crimp rings and PEX-A is for expansion.

I immediately started worrying, as the crimp ring styles is not allowed here in Memphis, though they're talking about changing it.

Long story short, I've purchased all my pex stuff from this place and they claim they only sell the Uponor tubing.

My tubing says uponor aquapex and says pex-a further down.

I've included pictures.

Basically, is the stuff I have the expansion fitting type? I definitely want to use expansion and am now worried I'll have to rerun all my lines.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20150825_090922.jpg
    20150825_090922.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,221
  • 20150825_090916.jpg
    20150825_090916.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,246
Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHo

Reaction score
You have the right stuff for using the expansion method. It's what I used on my re-pipe. Does anyone other than Uponor make an expansion type system? I didn't think there was, but I could be wrong. You did buy Uponor fittings, correct?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most companies utilize either the -B or -C method of making pex since those methods are cheaper. Pex-A is the most flexible and the only one that can restore a kink to like new without cutting it out and putting in a fitting. It also allows the tightest turning radius without kinking. ANd, yes, there are other manufacturers of pex-a other than Uphonor, but Uphonor has probably been doing it the longest and is the only one that controls the material from the raw to the finished product...everyone else buys their raw material from someone else.

Magneto

Reaction score
Well Uponor is always going to remain a top dog in the industry. Personally I think big name companies usually take the cheap methods of making PEX because they can afford law suits. If im not mistaken uponor just settled for 28 million in total for a class action law suit.

djfremen

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm in the same confusing Pex-A situation. I used Aquapex with crimp rings about a year ago (expansion tool broke and had 2oo feet of spare tubing). Uponor doesn't say crimp rings are compatible on their website. Checked and no leaks on any of the fixtures...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Crimp rings should work with any pex...it's just that expansion fittings will only work with pex-A. -A has a higher memory and stronger cross-linking, which is what allows an expansion fitting to work reliably. Trying to use expansion with a -B or -C type, it may not collapse as much after expanding to provide a solid connection. If you spend the money for pex-A, it sort of defeats the purpose and functionality if you then use crimp rings on it, but you could.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks