Anyone seen this type of flush valve before? It's an American Standard

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by chevguy, Aug 24, 2008.

1. chevguy

chevguy New Member

I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the water level. It's a regular residential toilet, but I can't find any info when searching the net! American Standards website is hard to navigate. I believe it's the valve style with no float, and I'm not sure how to take it apart.

It's a white plastic tube with a fixed plastic yellow enclosure on top. It has a plastic nut on top that I can unscrew but I can't seam to seperate the top from the bottom. It's two pieces. I found some info on flush valves, but have found nothing that looks like this one!

Thanks for the help!

Okay I searched the achives and founds this http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442 how do I adjust it?
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

That would be an American Standard fill valve. Like most products made by them it is substandard junk and should be removed and replaced. A Fluidmaster 400A would be a good replacement.

[​IMG]
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Smart valve

The smart thing to do with an American Standard Smart valve is to replace it when you install the toilet. They are notorious for having a short time before they fail.
  4. chevguy

chevguy New Member

Hey thanks for the help guys. Nobody mentioned anything about adjustment. I would have liked to give it a shot.

I'll put the fluidmaster in there.

Thanks again!
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It's not worth trying.
    It was adjusted right but it has failed.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

That valve depends on a bubble of air to close it. If the plastic seam cracks, which is the usual problem, the air leaks out and the valve either will not close or it closes and then starts to run again. Once that happens it will run forever, or until the toilet is flushed and starts the cycle over again.
  7. chevguy

chevguy New Member

I hear ya. Thanks for explaining guys. New valve time for sure!

John