(Another) Utility Sink and Washing Machine question

Users who are viewing this thread

dstrand

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read several threads here about utility sinks and washing machine drains... which is fortunate, because I'm sure I would have made mistakes with horizontal san tee's or venting.

I have a 3" DWV in my basement that comes down from the 2nd floor bathroom. I'm pretty sure this vents through the roof above the 2nd floor bath. This stack comes down into the basement and goes into the floor. I believe it's vertical from the roof to the basement, but it does have an 8' horizontal span across the basement ceiling, then a 45/90 turn for another 7' span below the joists (you can see this in the left picture below), then turns 90 down to a 4" adapter, cleanout, and san tee into a 4" iron coupling in the floor.

drain1.jpgdrain2.jpg

So there is this 2" stub that was left for a utility sink; I'd like to add the utility sink and possibly a washer drain here, but I'm not sure I can work out the venting. Can I vent back into this stack?

Thanks much for any advice.

Dave

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I don't see a vent stack, I see a the drain from the upstairs bathroom.

The vent for the utility sink would need to tie in above the other fixtures on that drain.

Do you have an attic?

dstrand

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I see. So although this 3" drain may turn into vent at the other end (above the 2nd floor bath fixtures) it's not a vent here in the basement. So to properly vent this new sink/standpipe, I need to run a new vent or tie into an existing vent. Could it be a vent on another drain line?

I do have an attic.

Dave

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
It can be a vent for another drain sure.

With any luck you can go up inside a wall and tie into an existing roof penetrating vent stack.

I've done this with careful measuring, I drilled through a double top plate from the attic, and the subfloor/bottom plate from the basement. In your case you might choose the corner of a closet because you have 2 stories before the attic begins.

Just ensure that the horizontal portions of the vent slope back towards the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks