Another code question

Users who are viewing this thread

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Had a plumbing inspection today on a job with a friend and the inspector didnt pass us because the washing machine standpipe was more than 33" above the weir of the trap. Where does it say that in the UPC code book?

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
18"-30" are the allowed lengths of standpipes.

I don't have my code book close to tell you the chapter and verse.

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
thanks!

Thank you, much appreciated! How about this question...we also didnt pass because we used screws to hold together the dryer vent, and they want it taped. I assume it's because they worry that lint will get caught up on the screws on the inside vent. Is tape really a good long-term solution? Does code dictate how this should be done?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't use duct tape! Buy some metalized tape. It comes in a roll, has a backing paper you have to peel off. Clean the joints well, apply the tape, then use something like a credit card or other smooth plastic slightly flexible device to maximize the bond. I think you are right, they don't want the screw tips to catch lint.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
While screws are REQUIRED in gas flue pipes to ensure it cannot separate, they are PROHITED in dryer ducts. Dryer ducts are required to be smooth on the inside with the exception of a short flex line from the dryer, and screws violate this. Strictly speaking, they prefer clamps on dryer ducts, but not all pipes readily accept a clamp. You do need a tape rated for the temperature. I do not know of a cloth duct tape which is acceptable. Check the temp. spec on the foil tape.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree that 250 degrees should be adequate for a dryer. But UL18 I believe only relates to HVAC ducts. I wish someone would come out and say for sure their product is rated for dryers!

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
Chapter & Verse, Please

dubldare said:
18"-30" are the allowed lengths of standpipes.

I don't have my code book close to tell you the chapter and verse.

I was looking through the 2003 IPC and I cant find any limit on the standpipe length. Looked at 406.3, and chapters 7-10...

Can you give me a code refrence so I can learn? Thanks!!!

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Here is the regulation in the 97 UPC

804.0 Indirect Waste Receptors
804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall
be approved for the use proposed and shall be of
such shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or
flooding and shall be located where they are readily
accessible for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe
receptor for any clotheswasher shall extend more
than thirty (30) inches (762 mm), nor less than
eighteen (18) inches (457 mm) above its trap. No trap
for any clotheswasher standpipe receptor shall be
installed below the floor, but shall be roughed in not
less than six (6) inches (152 mm) and not more than
eighteen (18) inches (457 mm) above the floor. No
indirect waste receptor shall be installed in any toilet
room, closet, cupboard, or storeroom, nor in any
other portion of a building not in general use by the
occupants thereof; except standpipes for
clotheswashers may be installed in toilet and
bathroom areas when the clotheswasher is installed
in the same room.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I had a plumber friend that was working in a county different than where he was from and the inspector didn't like out of town /county plumbers. He had run into this inspector B4 and he wouldn't leave the job until he found something to turn down. On this one job he kept looking and looking and finally turned him down.

He told him there had to be a vacume breaker on the water heater drain!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is how bad some of them are out here if they don't like you.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
they want something $$

We had one in this city that was looking for
bribes to pass inspectins and this went on for a while
back in the early 90s

The inspector was actually stupid enough
to go out the plumbers house to
pick up his money......and the police got him on tape
accepting the bribe.......

---------------------------------------------------------------------

another plumber chased an inspector off the job with a 2x4
when he was shook down.......

you got to be careful who you shake down, I guess......

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Hey Spaceman Spiff.

As far as the IPC goes, it differs from UPC on the maximum height allowed for a standpipe. In fact, if Chet had been under the IPC the 33" standpipe would have been fine.

Section 802.4 of the 2002 IPC with updates states:

"Standpipes shall be individually trapped. Standpipes shall extend a minimum of 18 inches (457 mm) and a maximum of 42" (1066 mm) above the trap. Access shall be provided to all standpipes and drains for rodding. "

Unless there's an update that I dont have or if your own jurisdiction has done away with that particular code rule, there ya go.

Hope this helps.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
The entire premise of the 30" limit in height of standpipes is for trap protection. While a standpipe shall be of sufficient volume to accept the water and sudsing, it should not be overly high to where inertial siphonage of the water in the trap may occur (caused by water gaining enough velocity to draw itself past a trap).

Essentially the same reson behind limiting tailpiece lengths to 24" above a trap.

Venting a stanpipe would do nothing but to expose the venting system to the atmosphere of the dwelling.

He told him there had to be a vacume breaker on the water heater drain!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever wonder why we no longer have handles on WH drain valves? A lot of rocket scientists look to the water heater drain to fill their water beds. I guess them smarties don't know how to operate screwdrivers.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks