American Standard Cadet 3 toilet tank bolt rubber nipple washer leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pman6

Reaction score
what's the advantage of the nipple style rubber washer that you slip the tank bolt through? see attached pic..

I installed two cadet3 toilets recently at my rental property, and they seem to be prone to leaking at one of the tank bolts.
it's been a pain in my ass. They didn't leak when I installed them. Now 30 days later, they're slow dripping.
Water seems to get under the rubber washer, even though I've got the bolts tight enough with the plastic hand tool A.S provided in the box.

Attachments

• 616puNWJxQL._AA1000_.jpg
    616puNWJxQL._AA1000_.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 4,269
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT is usually because you installed a metal washer between the rubber washer and the bolt head. I have replaced THOUSANDS of tank bolts and have never had them leak, immediately or even years later.

Pman6

Reaction score
nope. I have no metal washer between the rubber washer and bolt head.

AS didn't even provide any metal washers in this toilet kit.
It was just 2 bolts, 2 rubber washer nipples, and 2 joint hexnut/washer combos. 6 pieces total.

a few other no-tools cadet 3 owners have had the same problem with dripping.

but my main question is that these nipples don't seem to provide any extra benefit over regular disc rubber washers... ?

cadet_pro_tank_1.jpg

Cadet 3 Pro tank pick provided by Terry

cadet_pro_tank_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

plumdum

Plumber
Reaction score
I had problems develop with this tank mounting system from A/S since they came out with it. There is no way to tighten the rubber washer to the tank itself due to the design of the washer protruding through the tank. The cadet 3's I have installed lately come with the bolts and washers already in place. I just take them out and use a standard tank to bowl set. This way you slide the rubber washer on the bolt and tighten it under the tank with the nut and metal washer. Then attach the tank to the bowl with the remaining nuts and washers.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I use wolverine brass tank to bowl bolts. There is no better design. Comes with 2 bolts with heads the size of a quarter,4 rubber washers,4 heavy brass washers and 4 heavy brass nuts. thats 14 pieces folks. :)

Steve Hinkamp

Reaction score
Thank you plumdum

I had problems develop with this tank mounting system from A/S since they came out with it. There is no way to tighten the rubber washer to the tank itself due to the design of the washer protruding through the tank. The cadet 3's I have installed lately come with the bolts and washers already in place. I just take them out and use a standard tank to bowl set. This way you slide the rubber washer on the bolt and tighten it under the tank with the nut and metal washer. Then attach the tank to the bowl with the remaining nuts and washers.

I bought 2 A/S Cadet 3 toilets at Home Depot which leaked from the tank. After returning the first and installing the second and having it leak as well, I was fit to be tied. I calmed down and decided I would go on the internet before returning the second toilet. Thankfully, I finally found your post and bought a tank to bowl set and used it in place of the A/S hardware. It works! I think you saved ME from blowing a gasket as well as from a leaky toilet tank gasket! Thank you, thank you.

Steve

imreszabojr

Reaction score
what's the advantage of the nipple style rubber washer that you slip the tank bolt through? see attached pic..

I installed two cadet3 toilets recently at my rental property, and they seem to be prone to leaking at one of the tank bolts.
it's been a pain in my ass. They didn't leak when I installed them. Now 30 days later, they're slow dripping.
Water seems to get under the rubber washer, even though I've got the bolts tight enough with the plastic hand tool A.S provided in the box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks