Alternate method - ABS to CI?

Users who are viewing this thread

pcs

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Upon tearing down a portion of my ceiling, I noticed that whoever did the plumbing work inserted a 2" ABS drain to the existing CI line and sealed it using some type of hard epoxy. I was told that this was not up to code, and furthermore it looks sketchy (although it appears to be working).

The ABS goes into the CI at a 45 so I can't fit a fernco coupler on it (at least I don't think I can) and I do not want to cut the CI.

One suggestion was that I removed the epoxy and use a rope/cement combination to pack and seal the line (unsure of the name of the product, but the plumber showed it to me, looks like a rope that has been laced with cement).

I couldn't find anything on the web about this product so I'm a little hesitant to try it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How about posting a picture of this abs and cast iron so that we can see what you are doing.

pcs

Reaction score
Yeah, a picture is worth a thousand words......a blurry one is five hundred.

Attachments

• _img_65050.jpg
    _img_65050.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 267

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can get that out, www.fernco.com makes a wide variety of rubber donuts designed to install pipe into that hub. The size of the donut must match the diameter of the hub, or it will leak (too loose) or be nearly impossible to insert the pipe. But, if it doesn't leak, I might leave it alone.

pcs

Reaction score
........But, if it doesn't leak, I might leave it alone.

Yeah, that is my dilemma. It seems to be working, but the plumber who looked at it made me worry. I will check out the donuts too.

Thanks again all for looking.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Putting one of those donuts in at times might be like a gorrilla %#$@*&% a gopher....

You might do well to turn a blind eye or, cut out the wye and insert an abs wye into the cast line.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hassle with the donuts is not so much them, but that the CI hubs vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and from batch to batch. To find one of the many available that fits just right means a supplier needs LOTS of them in stock. They rarely carry the full line. So, you need to measure carefully, then find the right one. Too loose or too tight and it is a big pain...like Goldilocks found, there is one that is just right but finding it in stock locally might be impossible. Thus, the frustration level goes up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks