Need to lower a CI drain for disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

EivlEvo

Reaction score
Greetings all... I'm a longtime ghoster on this site, and now being a homeowner have some questions.

The house we bought has a newly remodeled kitchen (I believe mostly done by small schoolchildren)... we knew this going in, and I have a strong DIY skillset.

One of the first things I went to do was install a garbage disposal. Upon assessing the undersink PVC plumbing (which was leaking badly due to poor installation) and removing said PVC, the undermount sink actually fell out. I re-epoxied and sealed this up, and now am back to the disposal. The waste outlet on the disposal sits MAYBE 1/4" above the drain (which runs horizontally into the wall to the right approximately 4 feet. It is making the correct 1/4" grade, but it connects into the cast piping in the wall with a "normal tee" (not sure if this should be a sani or not?). This tee regardless is what I need to lower by an inch or two so that I can install our disposal.

2 Questions.

1. How should I go about this? Should I first support the vertical piping, get the angle grinder/sawzall into the pipe, and remove the tee. Once that's out, insert a CI (or should I use ABS?) sanitary tee using the steel banded AND stainless wrapped no-hub couplings on the top and bottom? Or is this just asking for trouble? (Worth noting that the house is a split level and this would be in the lower floor)

2. Do disposals have higher waste outlets? I feel like ours is pretty high on the disposal (wasteking legend 8000)... and I have it on the higher sink basin. Either way... it's worth knowing the proper way to do such a thing would be.

Thanks, sorry for the essay.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The outlet height of disposers, other than the switch in the inlet models is pretty standard. I would not worry as long as the disposer outlet is ABOVE the drain in the wall, although it takes some creativity to get it connected PROPERLY.

EivlEvo

Reaction score
It isn't above it. The top of the outlet pipe sits MAYBE 1/4" above the top of the drain pipe. That leaves me with 1.25" of water in the pipes unless I'm mistaken?

Additionally, I checked the WK website, and most of them are listing a 10" drop? I have heard that other disposals sit higher, but tbh... I truly enjoy this disposal. In reality... if I need to replace it... that's what I'll do. But IF I were to attack the drain height, how might I go about doing such a thing?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks