Air Hissing from Hot Water Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Air is Hissing from the top of the Hot Water Tank. It is coming from about 1/4" away from the hot water outlet. There is rust around this area. Can I fix this?

TIA,
Molo

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's probably water. If you have a small pinhole leak, it can be spraying into the jacket and the heating of the tank can keep it evaporated so you dont see the evidence. If its the fitting that is leaking, you can try to remove it and either tape/dope it and reinstall it, or just install a new one. My guess is a small pinhole leak though.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Some water heaters can make noise what that sounds like air hissing.

If water was making enough sound for you to hear, escaping from a leak you, would see water. There should be no air in a water heater. Air will be purged just by running the hot water. What makes you think it is air.

Molo

Reaction score
At the top of the tank where the hot water comes out there is rust around the pipe. I thought I could feel air coming from thius spot (not the pipe or it's fitttings). Is tis possible? If so, do I need to replace the tank?

TIA,
Molo

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are you saying the rust and where you think you hear air coming out is the tank around the nipple coming out of the tank? If its the weld around that nipple then it's best to go ahead and chunk the tank and get a new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks