additional line off of well. Help

Users who are viewing this thread

uus

Reaction score
a friend wants me to help him with a water line going to his barn that will feed a frost free hydrant. The question is can we tee off existing water line under ground before it goes into house and pressure tank. I was told the existing line is 1 inch and is approx. 60' from house. The length to the barn is 350'. Can this be done and what material would I need. I'm well versed in the Utility laws and will make the call to Miss Utility

uus

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Would I need to put in a check valve or a cycle stop valve between the well and the in-line tee.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
line

The question is whether that line is at the system pressure or only has pressure when the pump is running. Answering that question will tell you where you have to make the connection.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If that line does not have pressure when the pump is off, you have a check valve at the tank that will need to be removed. You don't need another check valve anywhere except the one that is on the pump itself. A CSV will not make any difference in how the hydrant gets water. The CSV will only keep your pump from cycling on and off, when you are using less water than the pump can produce. The only thing is, that if you use a CSV, it would need to be installed in the main line, before you tee into the hydrant. Then no matter where you are using the water, if you are using less than the maximum output of the pump, the CSV would keep the pump running steady instead of cycling on and off, which is not good for pumps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks