Adding sink in in utility room

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by basementbrewer, Jan 9, 2007.

1. basementbrewer

basementbrewer New Member

I want to add a utility sink in our downstairs utility room. There is a bathroom adjacent to this room with shared wet wall. I wanted to ask the pros the proper way to tap into the existing sink supply and drain lines. It appears that to tie into the copper supply lines I need to add tees to branch off for the new supply. For the drain line, what is the correct way to connect the new sink drain to the line. Can I take off the current PVC elbow and replace it with a tee with the two sinks coming into either side of the tee, or do I have to extend the drain line out and route a new line to the vent above where the current drain line connects to the vent for proper venting. Maybe these diagrams will help, maybe not. Thanks in advance!
    I
    I
    I
    I Sink One
    I---------I
    I Sink Two
    I

or

I
    I
    I
    I---new vent connect--I
    I I
    I Sink One I
    I---------I------------I---I
    I Sink Two
    I
    I
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

There may be more than one way to do it, or it may not be done at all. From your description, I assume the drain line is horizontal to the sink. If it is a 2" i.d. pipe, then you can either use a 2" x 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" "double elbow", or you can add another tee. If it is 1 1/2" i.d., you cannot connect two sinks to it.
  3. basementbrewer

basementbrewer New Member

The line does run horizontal to the sink and is 1 1/2" (i.d.?) so it sounds like connecting another sink is not an option. Is it an option to run a new 1 1/2" line from the main vent/drain line for the new sink?