Adding basement zone to hydronic boiler / enclosing boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The U-factor of a 2x6/R19 wall is also about 0.07 BTU per square foot per degree F, so roughly speaking you have (3' x 80' ) + (2' x 60') = 360' of roughly U0.07 wall. At 70F indoors, 10F outdoors that's a 60F difference, so the wall losses are roughly:

U0.07 x 360' x 60F= 1512 BTU/hr.

There is also some losses out the slab (not much) but you also have the internal gains of the boiler & hot water heater standby losses to the room, the heating system plumbing losses to the basement, etc. which probably more than offset the slab losses when it's actually that cold out (higher duty-cycle on the heating system plumbing). The fact that the basement stays 61F all winter just on the standby losses means the mini-split won't have to supply very much heat to bring it up to 70F.

The Mitsubishi FH06NA is capable of a peak output of 8700 BTU/hr into a 70F room when it's +5F outside. Discount that by about 1/3 to account for defrost cycles, or even down to 1/2 that under saturated rime-icing fog conditions outside (a once in a century event at +10F in MA). So in that absolute worst case event you have more than 4000 BTU/hr of net capacity, and most +10F days it would be able to deliver over 6000BTU/hr net, after defrost. Even if you have another 1500 BTU/hr of load from air infiltration & window losses & below grade walls, and an actual design heat load of ~3000 BTU/hr, even the FH06 would still be on the order 2x oversized for the design load, and probably still has you covered down to -15F.

Heat gain through those walls on a rare 95F day into a 75F room is roughly ~500 BTU/hr (it's 1/3 the delta-T, 1/3 the heat transfer), but more than that is going to be taken up in by the cool slab in a 75F basement. The slab losses probably also more than cover heat gain from the lights, maybe the standby losses of the water heater too. You won't have the heating system running on that day, so no distribution loss heat to be rid of. Even if you're having a polka party with a dozen 200 lb Czechs dancing they're not putting out more than 500 BTU/hr each (figuring half are sitting & slurping beer at any one time). That's 6,000 BTU/hr of sweaty happy slavs heating up the room, and an FH06 still enough capacity to maintain 75F indoors. The thing can deliver 9000 BTU/hr of cooling at a 15F temperature difference, and probably more than 8000 BTU/hr at a 20F difference (I don't have the engineering manuals in front of me.) As long as the outside door isn't standing open all night it's enough air conditioner for a substantial basement party on a sweltering hot night.

So, HELL yes a half ton Mitsubishi is the way to go, or at least a far better choice than a 1 ton Fujitsu!

Miguelito

Reaction score
You seriously made me laugh with the dozen Czechs bit.

Anyhow, you are the best! Thanks for your help I'll be sure to insist on the 1/2 ton unit.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
You seriously made me laugh with the dozen Czechs bit.

Anyhow, you are the best! Thanks for your help I'll be sure to insist on the 1/2 ton unit.

If they're (capable of and actually) STANDING while drinking you might bump that to an average 600 or even 700 BTU/hr per Czech, but that still only adds up to 8400 BTU/hr per dozen. If they're sitting it's less, and passed out on the floor is more like 250-300 BTU/hr.

The defaults for load programs (which trend toward a conservative worst-case) is 600 BTU/hr per person load adder for cooling loads, 230BTU/hr per sleeping human load subtractor for heating loads. But even 400 BTU/hr would be on the high side for a standing person who is only performing the beer-glass lift for exercise, even if 500 is low for someone doing a polka.

For commercial cooling system designers this table is typical (be sure to add the latent heat to the sensible), and they are conservatively to the high side. Note that cruising the aisles of a drug store adds up to 500BTU/hr in that so maybe I undershot the polka party peak a bit. :)

But in reality it's never 95F outside in MA during PM dancing hours anyway. The 1% outside design temps in most of MA are all in the mid 80s, and those 85F+ peaks occur in the afternoon, not the dinner hour & later.

When you're not partying, in the summer setting it to run at 70-72F in DRY mode rather than standard COOL mode will keep the relative humidity in the basement down, and will do it more efficiently than a room dehumidifier. You may still need a room dehumidifier to keep the musty-basement smell completely at bay, but whenever there is a sensible cooling load, use the mini-split's DRY mode. COOL mode is more efficient than DRY mode when there is enough sensible load that it's modulating in it's mid-range or higher, but most of the time the basement's cooling load will be heavily weighted toward latent load. (It's usually ALL latent load in the basement at my house.)

spete112

Reaction score
Why wait for you water heater to die before you go to a indirect? You can make one very easily. Look up side arm for domestic hot water. I can provide more detail if you are interested. Maybee I am oversimplifing it a little it did take some work, pumps, sensors, low voltage wiring for a additional zone on your boiler. Let's just call it a great project that works wonderful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks