Adding a basement sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris MN

Reaction score
Hello,
I've done quite a bit of searching but I can't seem to find a good "how-to" for my situation. I have a new home that has an unfinished basement. I had the builder rough in plumbing for a basement bathroom elsewhere but I would also like to add a utility sink in the mechanical room. I want to make sure I do the drain venting correctly but I'm not sure how. I have a drain stack located near where I'd like to add the sink. It is used by a bathroom and laundry above. I'm located in Minnesota, if that makes a difference.

The first image shows the mechanical room downstairs. The second image shows the bathroom and laundry above it.

I would like to add the utility sink on the stud wall on the left side of the picture. Please note that the pictures were taken before the house was finished.
DSCN0242.JPG
IMG_4579.JPG

Thanks.

Chris MN

Reaction score
So there's no right way to do it without cutting into the walls upstairs? I really wish I had asked the plumber to do that when they were building the house.

Chris MN

Reaction score
It looks like an AAV is not allowed in MN. Is my only option to vent above the overflow rims of the above fixture?

Hi far can a vent extend horizontally? I could connect to the vent for the downstairs bathroom but it's some distance away.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most houses have walls which allow a new vent to be run up through the roof, or into the attic space where it can be connected to an existing vent. In single story houses with unfinished basements, we can usually run a new vent through a 1st floor wall without opening up the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks