Add a new manifold to existing loop hydronic or just replace

Users who are viewing this thread

magrumbo

Reaction score
All,

I have a late 60's 1600 sq ft ranch in Long Island, NY with baseboard / hydronic heat split into two loops, each loop serving one 'side' of the house and sharing a common return to boiler. Boiler is oil-fired and approaching the end of it's life, would love to upgrade to something more environmentally friendly but that's a separate issue for now.

Would like to convert the attached garage and basement to livable space but here is my issue - supply lines for the home heat are all plumbed below the joists in the basement. It's all 1" copper wrapped in old (probably toxic) loose-batt insulation wrapped in plastic. Each baseboard is plumbed with 3/4" copper risers from a scoop t on the supply.

To get the head clearance I'd need to either;

a) Re-route existing copper between / through the floor joists (2/12's on 16s).
b) Swap the loops for a manifold with oxygen barrier pex homeruns.

I've read a lot of smart people on here saying not to swap out good copper for pex, and I agree with that sentiment, but as I'm going to need the future room to run heat to the garage (probably a year or so down the line) it's tempting to swap to a manifold style system to make adding any more elements pretty trivial. We may add an addition down the line too.

Option c is really the meat of my question. I think I can avoid making any substantial changes to the existing system if I just remove one element from the lounge (the supply to this element runs right across the main part of the basement). If I added a manifold to my existing set up, heated the basement from here and added the living room element to said manifold - I would end up with a hybrid loop & manifold system. Imagine I would need a separate circulator pump for the manifold.

Is this a bad idea? Should I be trying to extend my existing loops instead? Should I just add another loop and forget the manifold dream?

I'll be reaching out to a local pro but would appreciate as many opinions as I can get,

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks