AC Condensate line to tub drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkE

Reaction score
Plumbing gurus... I'm planning on running a 3/4 pvc condensate line for a new HVAC unit into my tub drain (currently old brass fittings) . I purchased an adapter at fergusons which i can put in between the the tub waste tee and the overflow pipe that also has an inlet that will accept a 3/4 pipe. ( I was trying to find a picture online to make the description more clear but cant find one). My question is, if I use this setup and I later have a backup in the tub and try to use a plunger, could that blow tub water back up into the AC unit? I was considering putting a stop valve in the middle of the condensate line that I could close in case of a tub backup emergency. Is this even required or complete overkill... OR.. or there any other issues that I could later face that I'm not even considering using this setup? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

MarkE

Reaction score
Here is an image of the adapter (not sure of the actual name of it)

*not sure why the pic is sideways

Attachments

• Drain3.jpg
    Drain3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 674

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do it. There's several potential things to worry about and you've worried about all of them. It'll work, rest easy.

MarkE

Reaction score
Thanks @fullysprinklered . Another thing I've heard is that, in general, connecting the AC condensate line to the plumbing system could cause issues due to the gel like substance that occasionally exits the condensate line. Could this be bad for the existing tub drain, and is there any preventive measures I can do maintain it from the gunk clogging up?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did some work on a tub w/o that had an end-outlet tee installed in the overflow tube. Some Alferd Einstein decided to put a tub-shower valve on a drop in tub. Problem with that is the ditch between the wall and the lip of the tub quickly fills with water with nowhere for it to go. So, they installed a tiny bar sink drain in the ditch and tied it into the overflow tube as mentioned. The drain part was actually good, but the pipe around to the overflow sucked big time. It was a repurposed dishwasher drainhose, I think. Anyway it sagged over time and got stopped up with whatever. Lady of the house had a testosterone attack and went after it with a coathanger and perforated it several times causing a leak. I went in with some slip joint fittings and fixed it up after considerable difficulty in accessing the problem area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks