ABS plastic and concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
No. It's not a chemical reaction like with copper, but inevitably that pipe can move up and down, as well as expand and contract. It should be protected with foam sleeving or other packing to prevent abrasion.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
hj
What addition of the UPC has jurisdiction in your area? Section 313.2 of the 2000 UPC requires that "no piping shall be directly embedded in concrete or masonry".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Abs

Here, that restriction applies to horizontal piping going through foundations and grade beams, not vertical through the floor, unless that portion of the floor is a turn down or the top of a grade beam.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
HJ
Considering the quoted wording from the code book, that interpretation is baffling. Grade beams, which by design are structurally reinforced with steel and thickened slabs, are less likely to shift or float then a standard concrete floor and thus less likely to disturb embedded pipe.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
S R Denney

I,M a gen. contr. The point about the grade beam vs. slab is spot on!!!!

I never would of thought about it myself,and this is part of My trade.
pouring a slab Mon. Hope You keep posting. You get the smart monkey award this month :D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Abs

If ANYTHING is going to settle, wouldn't it be better for everything to go with it, rather than the sinks, toilet and tubs to drop while the drain connections are still "up there" somewhere. Whether the grade beams, etc., will drop or not is inconsequential. Inspectors seldom use logic.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
It figures Toolaholic would be involved with carpentry. I've met a few plumbers who seem to always crave the latest toy to come on the market. But, none of them can touch the dozens (yes, dozens) of nail pounders in my acquaintance who have a serious tool jones.:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks