A question about washing machine traps

Users who are viewing this thread

Macman

Reaction score
In the thread below entitled Washing machine trap, Terry states that the trap cannot go in the basement because it has to be above the floor level of the floor on which the washing machine is located. I was wondering if Terry, or someone, could explain to me why this is. I'm just a lurker who very occasionally posts, and it's just a matter of curiousity.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the standpipe is too tall, it siphons the trap.

Plumbing code, knowing this, has limitations on how long a standpipe can be.

Macman

Reaction score
Terry, forgive my ignorance, but it's not yet making sense to me. I don't understand how a standpipe can siphon. Are we talking about a too-tall standpipe clearing the water out of the trap? How does this work? How tall is too-tall? I'm not trying to be a pain, but this has me interested.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

It will not siphon the trap, but the inertia of the falling water WILL carry it through the trap, and the end result is the same as if it had been siphoned.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It will not siphon the trap, but the inertia of the falling water WILL carry it through the trap, and the end result is the same as if it had been siphoned.

And then there won't be any water in the trap.
I think hj worded it better.

progress.gif

Macman

Reaction score
Ah! Okay. Now this makes sense. It would seem to me that it would take a pretty good volume of water to make this happen, but I can understand that it could be a problem. Thanks for the answers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Washing machines, especially newer ones, pump the water at quite high velocity.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I tried to get my head around this problem, and I think it would take an engineer to explain it.

I suspect that it would all revolve around the vent.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks