80 gallon galvanized water pressure tank

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by tksattler, Nov 16, 2012.

1. tksattler

tksattler New Member

I have an 80ish gallon galvanized water pressure tank that I no longer need. See photo. Does anyone know if this is worth anything? Should I just hope that someone will take it for free and get it out of my basement, or could I sell it? How much...? Any comments are appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The scrap metal guys will haul it away for you. It's not worth much unless you are broke.
  3. 6t7gto

6t7gto DIY Junior Member

My son just replaced his. It cost him $200.00 for the tank.
    Try craigslist. Someone may need it in a pinch.
    david
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There would be few people who would take a chance on installing it because it already has rust stains on it. You might find a scrap dealer who would pick it up and pay you for it, but most would charge you to take it away.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Ja, folks like to browse CL just to get a good laugh.
    Ja like all the "free firewood" ads on CL. They have a standing dead hazard tree that would cost them thousands to have removed by pros, and they think that a pro with $5M insurance coverage will remove it for free just for the firewood! Always good for a laugh!
  6. LLigetfa

Try 1-800-GOT-JUNK.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Try putting in the trunk of your car and taking it to a junk yard. They WILL give you a couple of bucks for it, maybe enough to pay for the gas to take it there.
  8. tksattler

tksattler New Member

Thanks. Got Junk sounds like my best option. I may try free on CL first, though my hopes aren't high. The tank weighs a ton.
  9. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

If the tank is heavy, it is probably because there is a mass of sand or other sediment in the bottom of it. I have heard of people cutting them into sections with a sawzall to make it easier to get them out of basements.

The new replacement tanks are paper-thin and only weigh a fraction of the old ones.
  10. LLigetfa

Probably you will get a response from the same crack heads that are stealing copper to sell to scrap metal dealers. They will probably ding your walls and gouge your floors trying to haul it out. At the same time they will case the joint so that they can come back for the copper that is worth so much more.