60 ppm iron

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Mark Krueger, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Mark Krueger

Mark Krueger New Member

How would one go about fixing well water with 60ppm iron, pH of 3.5 and TDS of 900?
  2. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Member

Is moving an option? Maybe a well in a different aquifer if one is present. RO might be the best option, but it's going to be really expensive.
    Do other wells in your area have similar problems, maybe see what they are doing...that's some really bad water.
  3. Mark Krueger

Mark Krueger New Member

Actually it was a rhetorical question. We already did it. First thing, hit it with sodium bicarbonate to get the pH up, then hit it with H2Oxidizer hydrogen peroxide injection, then zeolite, then very large Centaur carbon and a softener. The zeolite catches most of the solids, while the carbon catches the rest or backwash residual and removes any residual peroxide. Pretty much bottled water at the end except for a little bit of salt. Also, treating very low pH iron water with hydrogen peroxide will cause extreme solids buildup in the lines. It has to be pH'd up first.
  4. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Member

have fun with your maintenance and upkeep.........as for me.................. I'd move.
  5. Mark Krueger

Mark Krueger New Member

This particular water well is in Bastrop County, close to Austin where volcanic iron and iron sulfide are prevalent. This is also where the huge forest fire occurred a couple of years ago. Lots of water wells there have these huge levels of iron but we are able now to salvage them. What gets me is that the well driller charged $14,500 for a 400 foot well, signed off on the well report as "good quality water" and then offered no assistance whatsoever. That's just bad business in my book. I manufacture the peroxide injection systems and I never got paid either but at least we got the water to an acceptable level of quality. The homeowner is so impressed that he is now marketing complete iron removal systems in his area combining H2O2 with different levels of filtration with five or six success stories under his belt. There is no book with instructions, so this has been quite the experience but the really important thing we learned is that if the iron content is over 10 ppm and the pH is acidic, then the pH must be brought up to over 7 to avoid extreme solids buildup in the lines along with exothermic reactions. Hydrogen peroxide favors an alkaline environment to work efficiently.

I would also like to add that the homeowner is not who offered to purchase our hydrogen peroxide oxidation system. It was the water well driller and the pump company he purchases from, both of which were in panic mode and neither of whom are willing to pay the small amount it took to oxidize this iron out. So, this has been a learning experience on several different levels.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013