50/30 pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

jim dandy

Reaction score
You are giving bad advice. The precharge on the bladder needs to be 2 - 5 PSI less than the kick-in setting of the switch, so 25 - 28 PSI.

You are correct, I gave the wrong advise. I was thinking of a ET as used on a hot water heater.

jim dandy

Reaction score
I originally thought you were talking about a hot water heater and gave the wrong advice. What you say is confusing in that you say you have pressure but no water in the lines ?????

First of all a well cut in cut out relay even though bought as new can be defective or one that was purchased and tinkered with and returned and resold. Regardless if new or used the relay needs to be checked to the proper cut in, cut out and differential settings once it is properly installed. Assuming your well pump has the ability to pump in excess of 50 psi and there is no external water leaks or use of water at the time of testing the external storage tank has nothing to do with the cut out pressure. If the pump is cycling to often then look at a bad check valve, storage tank bladder issue, or improperly adjusted relay if not defective.

If the water pressure will not build up to the desired 50 psi either the gage, well pump or relay is not operating properly. Start with a new gage, then a known good relay and go from there.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I originally thought you were talking about a hot water heater and gave the wrong advice. What you say is confusing in that you say you have pressure but no water in the lines ?????

First of all a well cut in cut out relay even though bought as new can be defective or one that was purchased and tinkered with and returned and resold. Regardless if new or used the relay needs to be checked to the proper cut in, cut out and differential settings once it is properly installed. Assuming your well pump has the ability to pump in excess of 50 psi and there is no external water leaks or use of water at the time of testing the external storage tank has nothing to do with the cut out pressure. If the pump is cycling to often then look at a bad check valve, storage tank bladder issue, or improperly adjusted relay if not defective.

If the water pressure will not build up to the desired 50 psi either the gage, well pump or relay is not operating properly. Start with a new gage, then a known good relay and go from there

Jim, stick with subjects you know something about please.

If the tank pressure is set above cut out pressure the pump will most certainly cycle.

The gauge has nothing to do with the pumps ability to pump up to 50 lbs.

It's not a relay. Relays need a magnetic coil. Pressure switches use a diaphragm.

jim dandy

Reaction score
Whatever...

You are obviously confusing expansion tanks with well system bladder tanks.

Don't give advice outside your area of expertise.

Your first sentence is correct, but I think I already stated something along those lines. What ever I say here is said as a non professional plumber be it correct or not which I also think I previously mentioned here so let the reader take it for what ever its worth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks