5+ Program Controllers?

Users who are viewing this thread

kilobravo

Reaction score
New member and first post..

Looking for a commercial grade controller with at least 5 independent programs, more would be better. I've had no luck searching the Web for one.

Currently using a Hunter ICC with 3 modules that was installed on a new well-supplied system of 16 turf zones, 5 landscaping zones, and one Lakos sand filter flush valve. 135 turf heads with all but five using Hunter MP Rotator nozzles, the other five are PGP's.

Reason for needing 5 programs is the longer run times of the MP nozzles which require that I break up the 16 turf zones into three days of approximately 7 hours total run time each of those three days. (South Texas, sandy soil, very high temps and evaporation require 1.25-1.75 inches every 5 days.)

I don't like starting the cycles at 1:00-2:00am, too early, but heat and wind after 9:00am mandates I cease irrigation at that time. I would like to break them down into four days instead of three but I need four turf programs as well as the fifth landscaping program to do that and the ICC only supports a total of 4.

TIA..

KB

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
How long are you running the MP Rotators for? I install MP Rotators all of the time, but they normally should be running twice the length of time that a spray head runs.

If need be, there is nothing wrong with starting at 2:00am. Just watch the times in early spring and late fall when the temperatures are cooler. But at that time of year, you won't be watering that long anyway, and you could start later in the morning.

Mick

Last edited:

kilobravo

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks, Mick and to answer your question, most of the MP zones are running 1+15 or 1+30 and I'm getting about 0.6-0.75in/hr from them on average. Perhaps you're correct about it being acceptable to start at 0100-0200 but I really don't like the lower extremities of the St. Augustine staying wet that long. And roger on backing off the run times in the cooler months, I'm all too familiar with brown patch and how easily and quickly it can wreck a lawn.

I don't have my landscaping areas planted yet and once I kill/move the turf, my latest plan is to go ahead and use the D program on the ICC so I can start watering later by breaking it up into four days vice three. I'm thinking I can probably piggy back the landscape watering in on the turf programs after I get them planted but I'd really like to have a controller with 5 or more programs so I could separate landscape watering out completely.

So, should I assume you are not aware of any controller that has 5 or more?

Thanks again,

KB

kilobravo

Reaction score
HJ: Appreciate the reply and I go through a local irrigation supply house or an online supplier for all my materials so I'm aware of Irritrol and Rainbird and I have searched their products as well and don't see anyone who sells a controller with 5 or more programs. So, I'll ask the same question of you that I asked of Mick...do you know if Irritrol or Rainbird has one?

KB

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
Nelson/Signature 8600 series controllers have four programs and three start times on each program. You will have to careful about the start and run times (programming) of the programs so that they don't overlap and cause run time problems.

Mick

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I looked around on the sprinklerwarehouse site and saw a Hunter ACC controller that has 6 independent programs.

I've used that online dealer a number of times and have always gotten good service from them.

kilobravo

Reaction score
Mick: As I mentioned in my first post, I am looking for a controller with 5 or more independent programs so the Nelson/Signature 8600 series with only four programs doesn't meet my needs. I think I also mentioned that I built the system with a Hunter ICC controller which only has four as well. I THOUGHT I could do what I needed with four during the planning stages but I obviously screwed up. In any event, that's why I have a 2-month old ICC now and am looking to replace it with something that has 5 or more.

Steve: Many thanks for your detective work and despite having stacks of Hunter catalogs and brochures, I somehow missed that the ACC has 6 programs. Unfortunately, even at the SW price, that's a whole bunch of money and I don't know if I want to drop that much coin at the moment. I think I'll just try and piggy back the landscape watering zones on to the four turf zones, (once I get the landscape areas planted and complete,) and if I can't get by running them on the same interval(s) as the turf zones, I'll bite the bullet and spring for an ACC with an extra module.

Really appreciate you pointing me to where I should have been able to find on my own.

KB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks