2 Stage Toto Fapper question

Users who are viewing this thread

JDR

Reaction score
Installed the Toto Drake and love it.
Bypassing the 1st Stage Flush............
Is there a way to use "all" the tank water on the quick flip of the flush lever ?
Currently a quick flip drains about half the tank water and holding the lever for approx 3 sec's uses "all" the tank water.
Looks like a flapper with no hole in it or a plug for the current hole would work fine. :D:D

Reason for this is ....
I have lots of kids (family and friends) using my Cabin toilet. I can just imagine if they leave a big deposit and only use the quick flip of the flush lever one too many times !!!!! :eek:

Or.............
Maybe the Toto Drake is not suppose to do this ? :eek:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You just installed this?

I think you will be surprised how well it works.
I never need to hold the handle down.
Give it some time..........they work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Almost all modern toilets to not empty the tank...they do that by design. People that hold it down are wasting water. Contrary to popular opinion, the Drake and most toilets do not come with dual flush (although there are some, but they have separate buttons for it). Pressing the lever fully and releasing is what they were designed for to get the design flush water volume. Holding it will exceed the design volume. Lesser toilets may need that, I've not found it to be true with a Toto.

JDR

Reaction score
Aha, so the Drake is a one stage flush..............???!!!

inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Okay Terry, (and jadnashua)
I stand corrected on a 2 stage flush !
Installed the toilet in our home on same day of pickup, 11-17-07.

Seems like the tank would be designed to empty all the water with a quick press of the lever.
Just lifted the lid, pressed the magic button and in less than 2 seconds the flapper seals the drain hole. There is about 60 % of the water left in the tank when it starts its refill sequence. Sound about right ?

I am going to "hold-it" until after work tomorrow and check out the real power behind the flush. If all works well, I would like to get another TOTO CST744SG-01 and SS114-01. Are you available for me to pickup at same location early Dec 1, Sat. morning (7-8AM?)

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To get the power to the flush, just like a water tower is used to give you good pressure, the tank does to the flush. The design dumps nearly all of the needed water all at once rather than doing a washdown like the old 5-6 gallons jobs used.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a Dartmouth which is very similar to a Drake, and that's the way it works. Yes, if you hold the handle it will drain the entire tank, but that's not a normal flush. It takes a little getting used to when switching from an old style toilet, so give it some time.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
If you want to use more of the water in the tank you can use the Power gravity flapper that does not have the hole in the front and will close later than the G-max flapper.
I had a customer who changed 10 in a office building i don't know why and didn't ask (he bought them) so i didn't care.