1st floor and 2nd floor washer

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A WM has a fixture limit of 3, and a 2" pipe can support up to 16, so, if I'm reading the tables properly, you can put two WM on a 2" pipe.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You can't use the 2" pipe between the floors as a vent (although you could above the one on the second floor). You need to run a vent from the first floor up, and then you can combine it with the one from the second floor 42" above the floor or 6" above the flood plane of the highest fixture (IOW, you only need one going through the roof, but each one needs a proper vent and it can't be the drain pipe connecting them). General rule with few exceptions, once a pipe is used as a drain, it cannot be used as a vent. Venting WM isn't one of the exceptions.

Depending on where you live, while the vent might be okay inside as 1.5", often when it goes through the roof, it must be expanded to become larger to prevent hoar frost from closing it off (having the water vapor freezing and then closing off the vent in the cold).

Kevinmichele123

Reaction score
Ok thank so I can not drain the 2 nd floor washing into the vent of 1 st floor washer if I understand that correctly

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Ok thank so I can not drain the 2 nd floor washing into the vent of 1 st floor washer if I understand that correctly
That is correct, at least between the two, you need a second pipe to act as the vent from the first floor. You can join it with the vent from the second floor, so you only need one to go out the roof, or potentially, join it into an existing one to prevent putting a new hole in the roof. Note, any horizontal sections of the vent need slope, just like any drain, since they could have precipitation or condensation and that must drain, keeping the vent open.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
You asked about this in a different post (in case anyone wants to see that response). I think a pan is a good idea as long as you are checking it daily for water. It won't do any good for a hose break, but if the washer has a small seal leak (drip) you can see the water build up in the pan and fix it before any of the flooring gets wet and damaged.

In order to have an effective floor drain in laundry room you would need to be able to contain the water to that room (raised door thresholds or such) and the drain would need to be able the max amount of water from a burst hose or pipe (I think about 650 gph), otherwise the room would just overflow.

Reach4

Reaction score
Flood Check hoses would be cheaper. A floor drain could collect water from spills or a leaky washing machine or maybe a water heater T+P valve. A floor drain could be used to receive the drain water from your water softener.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A floor drain works best if the entire floor is actually sloped to it. That's a significant effort, and can be really problematic on the transition out of the room. If you don't have some waterproofing between the floor and walls (and a way to keep it from just going out into the hallway), a floor drain isn't much use. Plus, because it usually doesn't get frequent use, you need a trap primer to keep the water seal so it doesn't become a direct opening into the sewer. Useful, if required, lots of work, if not.

While a hose can break during use, probably a more common issue is while just sitting there. The best solution is to have and USE shutoff valves at the wall. I think I read some not so good reports on the Floodsafe hoses...may be wrong...do a search and see.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think I read some not so good reports on the Floodsafe hoses...may be wrong...do a search and see.
Floodsafe hoses have bad reports, but they were not being discussed on this thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks