1960s Bath Remodel: Tub Drain Repositioning

Users who are viewing this thread

c_g_lima

Reaction score
I was wondering if some of you guys could shed some light on what I am trying to do. I am remodeling a bathroom at my house which was built in the 1960s. I have everything down the studs, and the house is on a slab foundation. The old tub which I believe was considered a 32-in tub at the time had the drain at 14 1/4 inches off the back wall. The current 32-in tubs are pretty much centered at 16-in off the wall. The drain pipe and trap are the standard 1960s configuration: everything metal "glued" together with lead. The top of the trap is about 11-in below the floor.

For those of you who have dealt with a similar situation, what did you guys end up doing? Did you go as far as removing the trap or did you leave the trap alone and managed to put together a combination of fittings to offset the drain pipe coming out of the trap?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you use the 'right kind" of drain/overflow system, you can use the original location, angle over to the tub drain opening and use 45s to offset the overflow to the correct location.

c_g_lima

Reaction score
I am planning on just getting one of those overflow/drain kits that come with the trim pieces and PVC elbows. Is that what you were referring as the right kind or is there something else in the market I should use?

c_g_lima

Reaction score
I am going to have to bug you some more since my original plan took a different route. As I was breaking up a small section of the slab to have some more room for the offsets, I noticed the vertical drain pipe attached to the cast iron trap had some very bad corrosion after 50 years. I also noticed the trap was a bit loose inside the bell of the cast iron waste line. Once I saw all that I decided to get my torch, remove the trap and clean up all the lead joint. At that point I thought about using one of those service weight gaskets/donuts, but I ran into an interesting conversation with a licensed plumber.

This plumber is someone I will be hiring to redo all the galvanized water lines with Uponor/ProPex lines. I chose to outsource that task since I am just a homeowner and not a professional plumber. This person told me I should use a no-hub coupler instead of a service weight gasket because it provides a better connection. Are those gaskets really bad? The issue here is that I will have to break up the slab some more to get past the bell to make a clean cut for the coupler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks