115 volt Vs 230 volt

Users who are viewing this thread

ollllo

Reaction score
I am going to install a 1/2 HP 4" pump in my well. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons to 115 volt Vs 230 volt.

Thanks

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Wire sizing is the only difference in ....230 draws 1/2 the amps. Most people don't fool with 115 but either will work just fine. One other note that I just recently discovered....you can run a Grundfos 3" 1/2 hp 115 volt on a little Honda EU2000 inverter generator....you cannot run a normal 115 volt 1/2 motor on a small generator. I have a Vector 1000 watt running 2000 watt surge 12 volt inverter on the service truck for running small hand tools, and I can actually run the grundfos on that.....I was amazed.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only time we install a 115 volt pump is when we do a jet to submersible conversion and the homeowner won't get an electrician in to upgrade the circuit to 230 volts.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
"Reduced-voltage starters may not be required if the maximum recommended cable length is used. With maximum recommended cable length there is a 5% voltage drop in the cable at running amps, resulting in about 20% reduction in starting current and about 36% reduction in starting torque compared to having rated voltage at the motor. This may be enough reduction in starting current so that reduced-voltage starters are not required." Franklin AIM manual

You would be surprised how the above helps when running from a generator. You can start much larger pumps with a generator if you don't "up-size" the wire. Also starting the pump against a closed valve greatly reduces the starting current. So using the "longest length of the smallest wire possible" plus starting the pump against a closed valve will reduce the inrush current so a smaller generator can start a regular pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks