1 Inch PVC Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
I'm city of Leander. I'll try to find it. I would air gap the pan/bucket, just want to buy some time if my sensor alerts me

We are on 2015 IPC. I'll discharge about 3 inches above a collector of some sort. Then I'll need to dig into the wall to get into my drain system for the sink and water softener. What a debacle.
Screenshot_20201021-213956_Chrome.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Except Austin and Houston.
Hmm, up.codes need to update their Texas entry to include sub headings for Austin and Houston, then, like they do for some other states. Thanks.

Regarding going outside, not in places that get cold.
Given that it's hot water that's being released, is freezing closed really a possibility?

Cheers, Wayne

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
So I took out a piece of drywall in the stud space where there was no electric and this is what I have (going down into the foundation drain line). I'm probably about to call a plumber unless you think there's a solution here to tap into.

2020-10-22 16.42.49.jpg
2020-10-22 16.44.39.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you could cut into the diagonal pipe to add a combo pointing out of the wall, then have an AAV, then a trap, then an airgap, and then drain the softener and water heater TPR into that air gap. Not 100% sure of my answer. Where is there relative to your water heater picture, near by?

You might also leave an access panel to that cleanout, unless it's not actually needed as a cleanout and was just a test tee from the original installation.

Cheers, Wayne

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
I think you could cut into the diagonal pipe to add a combo pointing out of the wall, then have an AAV, then a trap, then an airgap, and then drain the softener and water heater TPR into that air gap. Not 100% sure of my answer. Where is there relative to your water heater picture, near by?

You might also leave an access panel to that cleanout, unless it's not actually needed as a cleanout and was just a test tee from the original installation.

Cheers, Wayne

I have no idea why that cleanout is there as this was definitely not an accessible area to utilize it. I'm afraid the diagonal may be too high. That first picture looks like the ground but the bottom is actually about 18 inches off the ground where the the garage has a stubbed out kind of bench wall made of drywall. I wish there was a way to utilize the opening to the cleanout for this drain, especially if I can AAV it.

The water heater is a bit away so I bought a 4 foot stainless pipe per IPC accepted material code to drain a couple inches above the water heater pan lip.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So it's just for the water softener backwash? I think someone said that's pressurized, in which case you could run it upwards initially and then gravity drain to the air gap/trap/AAV connected to the diagonal pipe. Again, not sure about that.

If you measure the distance from the bottom of the cleanout to the wall plate below it, you may have room there to cut in a wye or san-tee (if the bench is drywall and you can come out that low). You might be able to do it through your current drywall opening, but it would be easier to make another opening lower down.

Cheers, Wayne

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
So it's just for the water softener backwash? I think someone said that's pressurized, in which case you could run it upwards initially and then gravity drain to the air gap/trap/AAV connected to the diagonal pipe. Again, not sure about that.

If you measure the distance from the bottom of the cleanout to the wall plate below it, you may have room there to cut in a wye or san-tee (if the bench is drywall and you can come out that low). You might be able to do it through your current drywall opening, but it would be easier to make another opening lower down.

Cheers, Wayne

I am attempting to put in a garage sink as well as the softener recharge drain line. The pressure situation will work fine with the higher spot but the softener also has a brine tank overflow line that is gravity fed, so the sink and the overflow need gravity assist. I will think about it a bit more tonight and reach out to a couple plumbers to see what their input is. I feel like there's a solution here, just need to figure out exactly what makes the most sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks