1 Inch PVC Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
Hey all, I got my water inlet and outlet setup correctly but trying to figure out my drain line. I have a 1 inch PVC stubbed out about a foot out of the wall. I need a p-trap, a tee, and a stand pipe (connecting a sink drain as well). The pipe measured about 1 3/8" OD so I'm assuming it's a 1 inch PVC. Am I losing it or are there no p-traps to fit this scenario? Everything I see is 1.25 or bigger. This may just be a really basic thing I'm missing but I'm thoroughly confused at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
The pipe measured about 1 3/8" OD
1-1/4 copper or CPVC pipe is 1-3/8 OD. 1-1/4 slip joint brass or plastic is 1-1/4 OD. 1 inch schedule 40 pipe is 1.315 OD.

This would be a good time to get a digital caliper.

Do you know where that pipe drains to?

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
I will get one and report back. I have a few days until my GFCI gets here. It's a PVC pipe that I measured, but yes it's not exact.

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
So slip joints measure OD on listed size while the PVC pipe is listed by it's ID?

Reach4

Reaction score
So slip joints measure OD on listed size while the PVC pipe is listed by it's ID?
Yes on the slip joint. Roughly ID on copper and schedule 40 pvc. Smaller than nominal for CPVC and PEX.

Copper, CPVC and PEX has OD of 1/8 plus nominal, at least in common sizes.

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
Yes on the slip joint. Roughly ID on copper and schedule 40 pvc. Smaller than nominal for CPVC and PEX.

Copper, CPVC and PEX has OD of 1/8 plus nominal, at least in common sizes.

Reach4: The pipe doesn't have any markings on it, would I be able to tell by color or texture if its CPVC vs. schedule 40 PVC?

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach4: The pipe doesn't have any markings on it, would I be able to tell by color or texture if its CPVC vs. schedule 40 PVC?
CPVC is usually light tan, and PVC is usually white.

cream-charlotte-pipe-cpvc-pipe-cts-12007-0200-64_145.jpg
white-jm-eagle-pvc-schedule-40-pipe-57471-64_145.jpg

Last edited:

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
CPVC is usually light tan, and PVC is usually white.
Trying to get this paint over spray off with a light grit sandpaper, but does look a bit off white. If it is in fact CPVC with OD 1 3/8, what options am I looking at?

Thank you again so much for the help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Trying to get this paint over spray off with a light grit sandpaper, but does look a bit off white. If it is in fact CPVC with OD 1 3/8, what options am I looking at?
Where does the pipe go? If it is not capped, does it smell like a sewer? It could be going to a dry well. I am not sure a trap is needed for that. It could be going to a floor drain before the trap. It could go to a branch before a trap on a sink. No additional trap needed in those cases.

Is this in development by one builder? You may have neighbors who have been through this.

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
Where does the pipe go? If it is not capped, does it smell like a sewer? It could be going to a dry well. I am not sure a trap is needed for that. It could be going to a floor drain before the trap. It could go to a branch before a trap on a sink. No additional trap needed in those cases.

Is this in development by one builder? You may have neighbors who have been through this.

It is capped and goes directly into the wall, unsure what happens to it behind the wall. It was directly inbetween but below the copper water loop that I tapped into for the water feed. My assumption was a drain for the water softener was what this was intended for. I was going to p trap to be safe since I'm connecting both a standpipe for the airgap/softener drain hose and sink drain for a new garage sink. There are a few homes by the same builder so I can try to NextDoor and see what they say.

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
I just realized you helped me on my last post, so thanks again. Here's before I tapped it.
2020-04-30 12.08.16.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if the softener drain somehow joins the washer drain. It will be interesting to see what that turns out to be piped to.

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
I wonder if the softener drain somehow joins the washer drain. It will be interesting to see what that turns out to be piped to.

I posted it on NextDoor to see if anyone knows. Not sure how I'd find out without just tearing a hole in the wall, which I'm not going to do. I guess I could always use a rubber flexible coupling to join it to another pipe if the OD doesn't line up.

Bannerman

Reaction score
A small diameter pipe such as shown in your photo will be used for pressurized water whereas a drain line that relies on gravity to transfer the flow to a sewer or septic system will utilize a 1.5", 2" or larger pipe.

While the drain flow from the softener will be pressurized equal to water system pressure, the pressurized flow will discharge at some point into a larger drain pipe or drain receptor so the flow will then continue on by gravity to the sewer or septic system.

You could look for the other end of the softener drain stub out to terminate possibly within a floor drain in that or another nearby room. The pipe could also lead to below the kitchen laundry room or bathroom sink. Because the softener connections are only a rough in, the drain pipe may not be yet actually connected to a kitchen, laundry or bathroom drain line so proceeding to hookup the softener without verifying where it will drain, could possibly result in flooding within your home.

Because a water softener will condition potable water. the connection from the softener's pressurized drain line to the home's sewer system will need to be made using an air gap so as to prevent possible bacteria cross-contamination from the home sewer back into the softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you could cut the cap off. See if sewer smells come out.

If not, put your ear to the open pipe. Have somebody walk around with a sound source, and see if you can hear the sound coming from the various rooms. Not indoors? Try outdoors.

For the connection, there will be a way once your caliper arrives, or you drive over to
4001 S Lamar Blvd, if you are in Austin.

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
I think you could cut the cap off. See if sewer smells come out.

If not, put your ear to the open pipe. Have somebody walk around with a sound source, and see if you can hear the sound coming from the various rooms. Not indoors? Try outdoors.

For the connection, there will be a way once your caliper arrives, or you drive over to
4001 S Lamar Blvd, if you are in Austin.

Opened the pipe, not noticing any smell. Got my caliper, 1.33 inches OD, 1.00 ID.

Reach4

Reaction score
Opened the pipe, not noticing any smell. Got my caliper, 1.33 inches OD, 1.00 ID.
So 1 inch PVC, as you originally expected.

You can put your ear to it as somebody moves around with a sound... or maybe blow or suck with the vacuum cleaner, and see if you can hear air moving outdoors or in the laundry room or a nearby bathroom.

It would be nice if you could do something like couple a clarinet mouthpiece in there.

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
Reach4, do you know of any 1.5" PVC tee's that are female threaded on the two continuous sides and male threaded on the 3rd tee side? Searching all the different sites to find one.

mrbeaubo

Reaction score
Also, whats the correct way to hook up to the stub out with a p trap? I'm sorry, I know these are really newbie type questions, just trying to make sure I do this right. Can I just use a flexible coupling like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C7MQNXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right now the 1.25 p trap I have slides almost exactly over the stub out from the wall and I'm sure the coupling would work but not sure thats the right way to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks