Search results

1. LiamM

QuickDrain linear drain questions

Thanks John. This will be a curbless shower. One of my reasons for using Hydroban on the pan is that I should have enough left over after waterproofing the walls. The TS membrane (plus the Noble Sealant, corner pieces, etc) would be an additional cost. As you mentioned, the downside is the 3...
  2. LiamM

QuickDrain linear drain questions

I have an upcoming project that will use QuickDrain linear drains, the ones that have an integrated 6"-wide flange of Noble TS. The shower has both a window and a niche. I had planned on using Hydroban on the shower walls and floor, so I wouldn't have to deal with corner buildup from Kerdi...
  3. LiamM

Pasco shower liner and preformed corners

Thanks folks. I ended up ripping out the liner and installing a new one. Some money out of pocket, but I told the customer I didn't feel confident that the preformed corner would give a reliable seal. This time I didn't make any cuts, and was actually able to get a fairly tight fold, albeit...
  4. LiamM

Pasco shower liner and preformed corners

Hi all - I was at a job today where I installed a Pasco 40 mil liner, and *tried* to install their preformed corner (where a curb butts into a wall) with their solvent cement. I had watched their video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4PiNkatus) and cut the liner like they did at the 7:15...
  5. LiamM

Remodeling around cast iron toilet flange

Hi folks - I'm on a project where the homeowner had a tiled bathroom floor that "crunched". The floor was over a 6" high dirt crawl space. I ended up taking out everything down to the floor joists. The extent of the demolition is in the pic below. During the demo phase, I removed 4 hex-head...
  6. LiamM

Adjusting the shower head angle

Question regarding shower head...even when it's angled as low as possible, it's still aimed too high. Is there a connector of some type that goes between the shower arm and shower head that would allow me to angle the water spray lower?
  7. LiamM

Replacing subfloors, lots of questions

hi 1320ms - this is my two cents my first choice would be to rent a toe-kick saw to cut nearly flush with the bottom plate of the exterior wall. second choice would be to carefully use a sawzall with a long blade. my third choice would be to use a regular circular saw to cut within 2"-3" of...
  8. LiamM

Replacing basket strainer

thanks... Another basic question - what's the purpose of the plastic nut where the two pipe sections meet? to hold the new tailpiece in place? I mean, only the plastic pipe is threaded, right? I guess I can't see what the nut does, aside from just screwing onto the plastic pipe.
  9. LiamM

Thanks again for the responses. I'm about to call it a night, but plan on looking into your suggestions when I pick back up on the project. Thanks
  10. LiamM

Thanks for the fast response Florida... I don't *think* there's a P-trap...here's a picture of the entire cabinet space, plus the crawl space where the pipe goes. I'm not sure if the second picture has the equivalent of a p-trap, or what. As far as that pipe, it definitely doesn't pull out...
  11. LiamM

Hello Some basic questions follow - thanks for your patience and advice. I'm trying to replace a basket strainer. I've got the old strainer removed, but I'm now confused how to remove the section of drain pipe so I can slide off the old slip nut. I thought I could simply slide it off the...
  12. LiamM

Cutting hole for toilet pipe

hi I'm doing some remodeling work, and my plumber just cut a hole for the toilet flange. right now, I only have 3/4" OSB subfloor, plus 1/2" plywood underlayment. I plan on putting down ditra and tile. the flange won't be installed until the end, right now the pipe is just a long stub-out...
  13. LiamM

Drywall - Paper Tape vs. Self Adhesive Mesh

I've used both, but don't really have a preference. With the mesh, you can skip the bedding coat of mud. I normally feather my butt/tapered joints out pretty wide (~14"), so either type of tape blended in well. Remember to use setting-type mud, not the pre-mixed stuff, if you use mesh tape...
  14. LiamM

Sub floor prep for laminate

alternative to SLC I had a similar situation, trying to flatten an existing floor. I used strips of roofing felt to even out low spots. It doesn't compress, and was easier for me to work with than SLC
  15. LiamM

Insulating Finished Basement

Check out BuildingScience.com. They have some good information on properly insulating a basement.
  16. LiamM

New wax ring needed?

Thanks guys. I picked up a diamond tipped drill bit and it made the job much easier. Another question - What's a 4x3 combination flange?
  17. LiamM

Reparing Subflooring 101

Google "plywood underlayment apa". The first result has a fastener guide for installing the 1/2" ply underlayment. It calls for a lot though...every 4" on the edges and 6" grid in the field will be about 128 nails per 4x8 sheet.
  18. LiamM

New wax ring needed?

Thanks Redwood. I'm doing as suggested, but drilling those remaining 2 holes is a PITA. I'm using a couple of tile bits from Black & Decker, picked up from HD, and it is slow going. Is there a better bit to use, or is that the nature of the job? By the way, ...:D:D Thanks again
  19. LiamM

New wax ring needed?

Hi I'm back again after 6 months. The work in this bathroom from the initial thread got put on hold while I finished up the rest of the rehab. Anyways, so the contractor wouldn't come back out, but I took the advice given here and pulled the toilet anyways. Good thing because the old...
  20. LiamM

Expansion gap for floating floor

The baseboard heat actually helps to hold the floor down. I wasn't able to use spacers underneath it since I wouldn't be able to remove them after the floor was in. JadNashua - I tried hammering a beater block to shift the whole floor over, but it's just too heavy. I'll take the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks