Search results

1. Bill Arden

Fire damage

My garage and part of my house burned memorial day. :( The insurance company thinks that it's possible to... 1. Gut the entire house to the studs. 2. replace the roof trusses. 3. rewire the entire house and replace the main panels. 4. replace the entire interior. This would only...
  2. Bill Arden

Cold cathode CF bulbs?

I'm looking for some 60W equiv Cold cathode CF lights for outside. They need to work when it's cold and also need to be able to turn on and off a lot since I am using motion sensors. google turned up this one. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/11/cold_cathode_compact_fluorescents.php...
  3. Bill Arden

FYI: new york ground source heat pumps

I saw a short news segment on CNBC that showed people drilling ground source heat pump wells in new york city. They showed a tall drilling rig drilling into the sidewalk and it showed them installing metal man hole covers when they were done. They did mention that one guy spent $140,000...
  4. Bill Arden

Fixing a heat pump

I got this used heat pump for free from a friend. I got the wiring figured out and the compressor and fan starts, but it has a freon leak. I connected up a hose to the freon port and air bubbles out of the water connectors. This makes me think that it froze with water in it. :( Jacobsen...
  5. Bill Arden

Roof structural issue

I've ran out ideas on beefing up this roof. It's a Hip style roof 20 feet by ~40 feet. The house was a garage once and there are no supports. it's just one large open space. There is a 2x6 ridge beam and 2x6 corner beams. The worst part seems to be the outer connections. The bottom...
  6. Bill Arden

Solar Hot water

I picked up two Electric Water Heaters with built in heat exchangers. "Vaughn Model S50P Electric Water Heater. 50-Gallon Capacity, Single Heating Element, 30Sq foot heat exchanger. http://mustang.hoffhilk.com/maxanet/2008julyme/DSC03311Q.jpg...
  7. Bill Arden

Stiff kitchen faucet spout.

The faucet spout has gotten harder to turn over the years. I took it all apart and cleaned it, but now it's even harder to turn. I found a earlier thread that suggested silicone plummer's grease, but I haven't found where to get that yet. would the big box stores have it? and if so...
  8. Bill Arden

Cleaning fill valve.

My American standard compact EL has started making a trickling sound where it only flows water into the overflow tube and not into the tank. If I press the plunger down so that full water flow occurs then the tank fills that last little bit and then shuts off when I release the float. I'm...
  9. Bill Arden

Roof Ice and water damage

The asphalt shingles have been cracking vertically for years. I've caulked them each year, but this year the Ice dam has cracked them. :eek: The ice also dammed up the water and made it rain in the bedroom. I used a garden hose to wash holes in the 6 inches of ice, but I have Icicle's...
  10. Bill Arden

Two F4T5/CW bulbs failed

I bought three of these small 4W "under cabinet lights" (W-mart, Lights Of Am...) Model 7104 I am annoyed to say that one bulb failed after a month and another after two months. The filament is open on one side with a dark color on the bulb. Replacing the bulb fixed the light. I am trying to...
  11. Bill Arden

FYI Saving energy using small lights?

Summary of Saving energy using walkway "guide" lights. I've been trying to find ways to reduce the number of times I have to turn all my lights on in order to both reduce the failure rate of the CF bulbs and to conserve electricity. Recently I installed four 4W T5 (under cabinet) lights to...
  12. Bill Arden

HoseClamp on PEX

I need to make some copper to PEX connections in a tight space and can't fit that large tool to crimp the ends. So I am thinking of taking a piece of 3/4 PEX and placing it over the 1/2 PEX and then using a hose clamp to tighten it.
  13. Bill Arden

Fuel oil furnace shudder.

My old "Sears 10" furnace has a strange shudder sound when the blower is running and it gets louder when the blower turns off. Opening the "type R-C" draft control makes the sound louder after a 1 second delay. The shuddering when the blower turns off "stops abruptly" before the blades...
  14. Bill Arden

Finding a major air leak.

I sealed up the windows and the attic ductwork last week only to end up with a major air leak into the attic someplace. It's so bad that I had to disconnect and tape open the drier vent in order to get the furnace exhaust to go up the chimney and not into the house. I have a fuel oil furnace...
  15. Bill Arden

Strange toilet with bowl exit flapper?

I was at a wayside rest in WI and the toilets had a 3 inch spring loaded flap at the back of the bottom of the bowl that rotated down as a high pressure jet of water from the front of the bowl forced it open. After the flush the flap rocked for a moment making me think there is a slight rise...
  16. Bill Arden

recalled water heater

I have a water heater that has a serial number within the recall range. The recall is for the plastic down tube dissolving due to a bad batch of plastic. How can I tell if the down tube is bad? How do I remove it to check it? I can remove the pluming since I installed the unit with brass to...
  17. Bill Arden

FYI: American standard compact EL

I have been using a American standard compact EL for some time, but the design has a flaw at the exit flange area. It turns sharply and then has too small of a hole. I used a rotozip and cut off the flange to enlarge the hole. I’ve had to do this twice since the first one cracked after 6...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks