Finding a major air leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I sealed up the windows and the attic ductwork last week only to end up with a major air leak into the attic someplace.

It's so bad that I had to disconnect and tape open the drier vent in order to get the furnace exhaust to go up the chimney and not into the house. I have a fuel oil furnace with a (gun style) blower.

I have asked around town for smoke pencils and nobody has a clue what I am talking about. I have blower fans that I can use to pressurize the house for the test.

Questions.
1. Is there a way to make a "Slow match" or smoke pencil?

2. If not, is there someplace I can order one online?

3. Since I no longer have a gas hot water heater, Can I block off that leaky flap thing on the chimney?

PS: I'm in northern MN and it's expected to get down to -20f outside tonight.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
I don't know what a slow match is, but couldn't you use some incense, the little typee looking ones or the sticks?

Or you could get a stick of sage walk around like a crazy person and rid your house of evil spirits whilst you look for the leak......

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you make the house too tight, your combustion appliances won't have enough air to burn right, and it can affect the flue. Then, the most effective and efficient thing to do is to use an air-to-air heat exchanger - it allows outside air to come into the house, but it uses a heat exchanger to recover some of the lost heat. Canada is ahead of us in mandatory energy efficiency items - this type of thing is required in new construction there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks