Search results

1. D

How can I level a concrete porch?

Hello, I just wanted to give feedback on how our porch leveling project turned out. Using a table saw my son in law cut pressure treated 2x4's from 1 1/4 inch to zero over a 10 1/2 foot length. The 2x4's were placed over roofing paper every 16 inches. 3/4 inch tongue and groove plywood was...
  2. D

Rough plumbing water closet comments requested

Hello again, the link above seems to have quit working. I put another copy at http://home.budget.net/~bherzog/Images/plmbpg5b.jpg Bill (Dukes)
  3. D

Hello, I have posted the DWV plan I am going to start building today at http://img481.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plmbpg5bzj9.jpg Thanks for everyone's help. Bill (Dukes)
  4. D

Hello again, more about the angle. I have found several references to ASTM D3311 as the standard that defines drainage fittings. It cost $45. I don't want to know the answer that badly, but if someone already has the standard maybe they could check it. I did find a patent application that...
  5. D

Hello, I guess the pre angled fittings claim is hard to prove. I based my claim on 3 sources I found last night, and forgot to bookmark. I have only refound one so far and it is by Nibco (a mfg. of ABS pipe and fittings). To quote ""These "systems" have built-in "pitch" or "fall" and require...
  6. D

Hello, I just realized this morning something probably everyone else on this forum already knew. Just in case there is someone else who could benefit I will reveal my ignorance of the subject. DWV fittings have "built in" 1/4 inch per foot angles! It was bothering me that I might have to...
  7. D

Hello again, It seems we get so much wiser with years. I enjoyed the high tech business for about 44 years. I literally burned out trying to keep up with technology. Looking back it was kind of foolish working so hard to produce products that would only last (market wise) about a year...
  8. D

Thanks guys, Lots of excellent info. I am still some time away from leveling the porch. Currently learning how to do rough plumbing (on this forum, by the way). Had to learn how to drop the shower floor 4 inches for a curbless shower, after I learned how to lay foundation block. I will post...
  9. D

David, Thanks for the comment. The previous discussions were applicable, as I changed walls for the toilet venting. Previously the vent was dedicated to the toilet only. When I changed walls and laid out the sink and shower I created a wet vent without realizing it until hj pointed it out...
  10. D

Thanks, hj , I hadn't even thought of that. I was concerned about using the adaptors from the 2 to 3 inch. I "assume" it is OK to go bigger in the direction of flow, but I didn't know. The one case where I went from 3 to 2 for the possibly unecessary toilet vent was particularly worrisome...
  11. D

Hello again, I think I have learned enough to draw the complete bathroom roughin now (thanks to all your help). I gave up worrying about flat vents in the wall behind the toilet and moved the vent to another wall. I think this may be what solsacre was suggesting. I am learning and appreciate...
  12. D

OK, I need a reality reset. Does everyone agree that a vent angle must never be less than 45 degrees from horizontal until it has risen 6 inches above the appliance overflow? If that is the case it looks impossible to put the vent in the wall behind the toilet. There has to be millions of...
  13. D

Thanks Guys, Is this changed sketch what you had in mind? I had to add a 1/8 in the vent line to stay in my envelope which is 8 inches below the I joist. I will change the 13 inch to 12 inch also. I knew better. I don't understand the 2 pipe diameter rule minimum for placing the vent after the...
  14. D

Hello Guys, I am starting the rough plumbing for the bathroom in our new addition. I thought it would be simple to just copy what was done in the other 2 baths of the original house. We built the house 11 years ago and used a professional plumber to do the work. He is not available now, and...
  15. D

Thanks guys, for the tips on using SLC. I will put them to good use and report back on completion. My plans are in plan check now. Hopefully I will get the permit next week. Bill (Dukes)
  16. D

Thanks Jason, I had never heard of SLC, so I did a Google search, and found http://www.levelrock.com/SLC400.asp It sounds like the solution from a feather edge to 5/8 inch thick. From the 5/8 to 2 inch distance I can taper the strips and plywood. I am trying to make this remodel/addition...
  17. D

Thanks Jason for the reply, but I need to elaborate. Tapering the 2x4s is not a problem, but the slope starts at a height equal to the original house floor. That means for example if I used 1 1/8 subfloor I would have to taper it from 0 to 1 1/8 inches over a 90 inch span. I don't know how...
  18. D

Hello, I need some ideas on how to level a concrete porch that was originally sloped for drainage. The porch is being incorporated into our remodel/addition as an entry room. It is 12 x 15 feet and the slope is 2 inches over the 12 foot direction. The 15 foot sides of the concrete porch...
  19. D

Toilet and Shower Dimensions

wheelchair access shower Hello, I am building a new bedroom for my adult daughter. She wants a wheelchair shower like one in a motel she recently stayed in. She said it had almost no lip, yet because the floor drained away from the lip slightly there was almost no floor water outside the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks