Search results

1. miketp

Black gunk in aerators - sediment or mold?

I have black material accumulate in my aerators. I think it could be sediment although it's more slimy than pebbly, so I'm thinking it could also be mold. Any thoughts based on the attached picture? I'm wondering if a sediment whole house filter would fix this or if it may be a different...
  2. miketp

Black slimy mold / gunk in faucets / aerators

In all of my faucets, there's a black slimy material that accumulates in/near the aerators. It eventually impacts the water stream and I have to move my fingers under the faucet to remove the slimy gunk. I assume it's due to manganese or bacteria. I'm on city water so I would've thought the...
  3. miketp

Sidewall vent - distance from window/door

Why do direct vent installations only require 1' clearance from doors/windows while other installs require 4'? Is 1' really safe enough given the carbon monoxide being output? I have a Lochinvar KBN151 boiler with a direct sidewall vent. It's installed close to a door but more than 12" which...
  4. miketp

Banging/machine gun sound for a few seconds after turning on tub faucet

I have a mystery issue with my shower that I'm hoping someone can help solve. When I turn on the Delta tub faucet, everything works as expected. However, if I use the faucet again shortly afterward (within say an hour), a loud banging/machine gun sound occurs after about 5 seconds and lasts...
  5. miketp

Squealing / hissing sound from tub faucet

I recently opened up an outside wall and sprayed in insulation to address a freezing pipe issue. Since then, the tub faucet makes a squealing sound. It usually only happens after turning on the faucet a second time within a few hours (although sometimes the first time also), usually takes a few...
  6. miketp

Easiest way to insulate frozen pipes on exterior wall?

During a bathroom renovation, plumber convinced me to move the shower/tub faucet to the opposite wall so it was easier to reach. Unfortunately the opposite wall is an exterior wall and the pipe now freezes. No issues with the sink/toilet on the other (interior) wall. Pipes are not wrapped in...
  7. miketp

No cold water when cold outside - pipe or cartridge?

When it gets cold outside, no cold water comes out of one of my showers. When this occurs, when setting the water to cold, sometimes no water comes out, and other times lukewarm water comes out. The sink faucet in the same bathroom works without an issue. Is this likely to be a pipe that's...
  8. miketp

Basement floor drain / sewer drain vs. sump pit / pump?

I'm a new homeowner and am still learning the basics. Our basement occasionally has water issues when it rains so we are installing french drains. We already have a pit which has a sewer drain at the bottom. Are there any downsides to removing the sewer drain cap so the water can escape? If...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks