No cold water when cold outside - pipe or cartridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

miketp

Reaction score
When it gets cold outside, no cold water comes out of one of my showers. When this occurs, when setting the water to cold, sometimes no water comes out, and other times lukewarm water comes out. The sink faucet in the same bathroom works without an issue.

Is this likely to be a pipe that's freezing or could it potentially be a cartridge issue? If pipe freezing, what's the best way to insulate a pipe that's already installed without demo'ing the wall?

miketp

Reaction score
1920's and it's on an exterior wall, so I suspect freezing but I don't know why it would sometimes be lukewarm and I also thought that usually the hot water pipe freezes first.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The hot lines tend to freeze first, but often it's a matter of placement and air movement.
If ther pipe was frozen, I wouldn't expect any water from it until it thawed. If the wall is open inside, you might consider foaming it. I prefer insulation on the cold side of the pipe and none on the warm side.

Reach4

Reaction score
quote;
I prefer insulation on the cold side of the pipe and none on the warm side.

??????????????Why?
I expect it is to allow the pipes to be warmed by the inside heat.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I expect it is to allow the pipes to be warmed by the inside heat.

Yes.
I have done a lot of freeze repairs over the years. I know what has worked, and what hasn't worked.
UPC codes allows pipe with foam insulation in an unheated spaced. It still freezes.

I have done piping all ways that they "can" be done. It's very important that the pipe is kept warm somehow. If you can allow heat from the interior of the home to get to the pipe, that's a BIG help.
Sometimes the mere act of putting insulation on the pipe, preventing that warmth, is the exact wrong thing to do. In the real world.
Been there done that. Been there done that. Been there done that. Been there done that. Yep! :)

miketp

Reaction score
So the water's still lukewarm when set to cold. When I turn the handle from hot to cold I feel cold water for a second and then only warm water comes out. Would that point more to the thermostatic cartridge being bad rather than a frozen pipe? If frozen, would something like great stuff gap filler work for spray foam insulation?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sounds like a bad cartridge if you're getting warm out the cold side.

The great stuff in cans won't do the entire wall. It just goes a little way. And NEVER use that stuff without gloves. It bonds to your skin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks