Search results

1. Odysseus99

Your preferred wire type

I looked thru the Nat. Elec. Code and found no reference to a required type of wire in a submersible-pump well, other than the requirement that any wire in a wet location be made for that. So what's different about what they call "submersible" wire? Any reason why not to use underground...
  2. Odysseus99

Is larger pipe size a problem with a well?

I'm embarrassed to say. It was in a geo-thermal well that failed because the steel casing broke, letting in a higher layer of cold water, making the well useless. So he pulled all the SS and put it up on Craigslist, I was Johnny on the Spot. He's a contractor and knows what it's worth, but he...
  3. Odysseus99

Thanks Valveman, I didn't think of that. It's a clean well, the water comes from porous lava layers and serpentine, but above those layers for 300 feet is clay/sandyclay/silt. Not much of that will get in, but some will. I better swap my 1-1/2" for 1".
  4. Odysseus99

I have a 400 foot deep well, have not yet put in a pump. Water at 300 ft., 6" steel casing. I was planning to use 1" drop pipe for the pump up to the pitless. Recently I found a good deal on 1-1/2" stainless steel schedule 40. Question is- is there any problem with using a larger pipe size like...
  5. Odysseus99

Soft start pump motors

Thanks Valveman. Its a high producer. Hope you have time to respond to my most recent thread https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pump-installation-questions.61607/#post-456343
  6. Odysseus99

No water and pressure tank empty....

Or, your drop pipe may have corroded through so that the pump is pumping into the well. -how old is the pump? -What type of drop pipe is installed? -do you have a means of determining the water level in the well, relative to the pump?
  7. Odysseus99

Pump installation questions

I've posted half a dozen questions the last few weeks on my pump installation. Thanks to Reach, Valveman, Craigpump, Texas and others for answers. I'm pretty close, just a couple more questions. Here's a summary so you have all the info: 400' deep well, 30gpm production, very clean water (a...
  8. Odysseus99

Centripro vs Franklin motor

Good comments all- I think I'll read the AIM manual carefully, and think about it for a while. Lots of good info from you guys to keep me busy.
  9. Odysseus99

I see your point Craigpump. But, I've heard of abrasion problems with wire in the well when, over time, motor torque rubs the wire in a given location and eventually wears thru the insulation. Type TH insulation is the thinnest ( and cheapest) of all wire insulation types. So, if I can get a...
  10. Odysseus99

Hi Reach- Thanks for the input. I planned to use aluminum from well head to power source to save money, then use copper in the hole. Aluminum in the hole seems like a bad idea on the long term just because aluminum is more corrosive and in the moist environment will not last as long as copper...
  11. Odysseus99

Thanks guys. It makes perfect sense that the connection should be standard, but we don't live in a perfect world, so I wanted to verify. I'm leaning toward a Franklin 1hp 2 wire motor and Grunfos 7gpm pump. Going to forego aluminum wire and go with #8 copper all 750 feet from pump to...
  12. Odysseus99

Thanks Texas and Craigpump. Is putting together separately purchased pump and motor an easy thing to do? Are the mechanical connections between pump and motor standardized so they all fit each other? I've never actually seen a pump or motor, just pictures. I don't want to rely on 'aftermarket...
  13. Odysseus99

I guess, from what I've read, that the Franklin motors are still highly regarded. Gould has a good reputation as well so the Centripro motors must be well made as well. I usually lean toward spending a bit extra now for longevity down the road. I want to go as long as possible before I have to...
  14. Odysseus99

2 wire vs 3 wire

I read this excellent thread from 2007 on this forum on this issue: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/2-wire-vs-3-wire-pumps.14991/ It really looks like 2 wire is best for me. I'll use a 1hp 7gpm with 300 ft static level and 350 ft total dynamic head. I need to string 750 feet of...
  15. Odysseus99

Best internet supplier of submersible Grundfos for DIYer?

Thanks again Valveman. Anyone else got a supplier of Grundfos you like?
  16. Odysseus99

Soft start pump motors

Thanks Valveman. I'm pumping to a storage tank, no pressure tank. Will a CSV help in such a setup? Where should I put it. No float switch or auto shutoff. Just run the generator until it's full or close.
  17. Odysseus99

Aluminum wire for pump circuit?

I'm sure you meant ALU, Valveman. That's a new one to me using the smallest wire possible for intentional voltage drop. #12 wire should easily handle the amperage of the motor while in continuous operation, with 1hp the amperage should be around 5 or 6 at 220 I guess. So you are saying that...
  18. Odysseus99

Aluminum wire for pump circuit?

My pump will be 750' from the control box and generator. I planned to use #8 copper for a 1hp motor, which by the charts is good up to 950' for 1hp. But I can get #6 aluminum a lot cheaper than #8 copper. #6 aluminum has the same ampacity as #8 copper. Is there a consensus about using aluminum...
  19. Odysseus99

Soft start pump motors

Thanks to all for your help as I figure out all the factors involved in a submersible pump choice. Wondering about soft-start motors. Obviously starting a motor slowly is going to be good for the motor on the long term. I guess it can decrease hammer effect as well. Questions- -Can soft-start...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks