Search results

1. RustyPipes

Stinky Tub Drain

We bought this 1950s house from the first owner. It still has the original plumbing. (mostly) The vents are very poorly designed. The problem is the tub drain. When we were living here for several years the tub trap began to leak. I found that the trap was lead and slightly folded between the...
  2. RustyPipes

Where to find a Universal Rundle tank?

Thanks for the idea. I will ask her if she wants a used toilet.
  3. RustyPipes

Terry, I don't mean to lecture, only explain the situation in more detail: When a person is living hand-to-mouth it may mean going without the basics. She has three toilets (a powder room on the first floor, a bath on her floor, and this broken one) but is going to take in her ill, unemployed...
  4. RustyPipes

This is a 19 year old Contractor Grade Universal Rundle 1.5 toilet. There are some poorly printed numbers inside (1895 02{1}?). The tank cracked and the owner is looking to replace it if it is less expensive than replacing the entire toilet. ($90 for a new toilet) I have not been able to locate...
  5. RustyPipes

Short Cycle on MZ25s

I replaced the Honeywell valve and the boiler is working fine now. The old valve was gummed up so I cleaned it and am reserving it as a spare. It was sticking part way and dumping heat from the boiler into the house every time the DHW thermostat stopped calling for heat. I also changed the...
  6. RustyPipes

OT: Removing Spray Foam from Porcelain

Found this site using the duckduckgo.com website search engine
  7. RustyPipes

Short Cycle on MZ25s

Thanks for your suggestion. I opened and cleaned the burner chamber and it looked good. All of the fittings are tight. Replaced the air valve on the DHW tank, the tank's thermostat too. What should the Honeywell VC8111.11 actuator for the three way valve look like when it operates? The...
  8. RustyPipes

Short Cycle on MZ25s

The boiler is now wired so that the heating circulator pump runs whenever the boiler is in winter mode. It was wired so that the circulator only ran when the thermostat was unhappy. Now the short cycling is not happening as often. The big difference between this year and the last years was...
  9. RustyPipes

Short Cycle on MZ25s

BadgerBBoilerMN, Thanks for the good news. How old is the oldest MZ that you saw?
  10. RustyPipes

Short Cycle on MZ25s

The new thermostat and air vent are installed. Two liters of treated water were also added. The boiler is doing the exact same thing. What is the same thing, you ask? First, the thermostat calls for hot water, then, the boiler starts the purge cycle, then, thermostat stops calling, Next...
  11. RustyPipes

Short Cycle on MZ25s

Well, the air vent and thermostat were ordered today. I also ordered the realllllly expensive water treatment. Apparently, if you don't use the manufacturer's chemicals, you have no warranty on the boiler chamber. A boiler installer told me today that the boilers in Europe are replaced every...
  12. RustyPipes

Is this boiler piping correct?

The pump is on the wrong side of the expansion tank. The air vent should be on top of the expansion tank. There is most likely other things wrong that may be dangerous that don't show here.
  13. RustyPipes

Short Cycle on MZ25s

The front of the thermostat is covered by a white plate that is part of the boiler housing. There are two screws holding the unit to the plate. Between them there is a dial with Degrees C from 30 to 90 (30 is at the bottom and 90 at three o'clock) in ascending order clockwise around a brass flat...
  14. RustyPipes

Short Cycle on MZ25s

After many years of excellent service the boiler started short cycling. The DHW is still hot and the house warm. But, the boiler is starting every thirty or so seconds and running for only part of the purge cycle or a few seconds of burn unless we need heat. When I disconnected the DHW...
  15. RustyPipes

Keeney "Foot Lok" removal for cleaning

`Thanks for all the advice. Lowes was nice enough to let me look at the drain cap. As hj said it just unscrews. However, if it is corroded it does not. After applying some PB blaster and a strap wrench it came loose. Now for the soap scum and hair...
  16. RustyPipes

Where are you looking at it? Can you send a link? Ours does not turn at all. It just pops up when "open" is pressed and down when "close" is pressed. If, when it is open the edge by "open" is pulled up, it tilts.
  17. RustyPipes

Yepper, we tried that and it did not work...Both the wife & I think that it was easy to remove when it was first installed, but now we don't remember how to do it...
  18. RustyPipes

The tub is holding water and the drain is open. Twisting, pulling everything short of prying is not removing the open stopper. What is the secret to removing the stopper? The Keeney site has installation instructions but no user help. It was so simple to do when it was new, but not since the...
  19. RustyPipes

Soap suds coming out from drain pipe for my washing machine no problem with water

It is important that you have a Professional Plumber look at your piping. If the vent is blocked, or the drain is installed incorrectly, sewer gas can enter your living space. Besides being a bad smell, sewer gas can be explosive and/or toxic. The end of the vent pipe must be out of doors...
  20. RustyPipes

open drain pipe in crawl space

There are several things that must happen with this drain. 1. it must have a trap to prevent sewer gas from entering the space. This gas will present an explosion hazard. It may also present a poisoning hazard. Hydrogen sulfide gas is very toxic. While in low concentrations it smells like...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks