Keeney "Foot Lok" removal for cleaning

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by RustyPipes, Jul 2, 2010.

1. RustyPipes

RustyPipes In the Trades

The tub is holding water and the drain is open. Twisting, pulling everything short of prying is not removing the open stopper. What is the secret to removing the stopper? The Keeney site has installation instructions but no user help. It was so simple to do when it was new, but not since the brain cells went on vacation...
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Yea trying to think myself...
    I usually have to refresh the brain every time...

Have you tried unscrewing it while it was in the closed position?
  3. RustyPipes

RustyPipes In the Trades

Yepper, we tried that and it did not work...Both the wife & I think that it was easy to remove when it was first installed, but now we don't remember how to do it...
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

As far as I can see, it just unscrews. Possibly the chrome top has come loose from the plug and is turning without rotating the drain plug itself.
  5. RustyPipes

RustyPipes In the Trades

Where are you looking at it? Can you send a link?

Ours does not turn at all. It just pops up when "open" is pressed and down when "close" is pressed. If, when it is open the edge by "open" is pulled up, it tilts.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Yes, but he is saying when you try to turn it to unscrew the stopper, the top may be spinning but not the rest, which keeps it from unscrewing.
  7. RustyPipes

RustyPipes In the Trades

`Thanks for all the advice.

Lowes was nice enough to let me look at the drain cap. As hj said it just unscrews. However, if it is corroded it does not. After applying some PB blaster and a strap wrench it came loose. Now for the soap scum and hair...
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Now, get yourself a nice "push/pull" stopper and screw it into your drain. The push to open/push to close are notorious for malfunctioning.