Where to find a Universal Rundle tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

RustyPipes

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a 19 year old Contractor Grade Universal Rundle 1.5 toilet. There are some poorly printed numbers inside (1895 02{1}?). The tank cracked and the owner is looking to replace it if it is less expensive than replacing the entire toilet. ($90 for a new toilet)
I have not been able to locate a source for the tank in Maryland.

I know epoxy will work but it will not look good at all. The trick is to dry and heat the tank before applying the epoxy. The epoxy will soak into the crack and the tank will last for years. However, I have never done it on a tank as badly cracked as this one is (one end of the tank is cracked from the top most of the way down at both corners) or where the crack was visible.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Low flow toilets of that generation were almost 100% junk and would hardly be worth repairing. A $90 toilet? Absolutely will be a build grade and be nothing but trouble. Maybe 30 years ago a decent toilet could be found for that kind of money, but not today. If you shop around,you could likely find a Toto Drake for somewhere around $250, depending on the seat chosen. Anything less than that I would not put my name and reputation on. If you and the owner are committed to going cheap, then you can find all sorts of builder grade toilets for $100, but you both need to understand these do tend to clog frequently and have poor bowl wash.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You're going to pay 50-100 for the tank alone, if you can find it, plus shipping if you can't find it locally. Just shop around and see if you can't find yourself a Toto Drake CST744E (1.28gpf) or CST744S (1.6gpf) for under $200 and you will be very happy with it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The epoxy will soak into the crack and the tank will last for years.

Or it breaks when nobody is home, and the insurance bill comes to $90,000 for repairs to the home.
Sure, why not.

Seems like a lot of work to save $20.00

RustyPipes

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry,
I don't mean to lecture, only explain the situation in more detail:
When a person is living hand-to-mouth it may mean going without the basics. She has three toilets (a powder room on the first floor, a bath on her floor, and this broken one) but is going to take in her ill, unemployed son and would like to have a working toilet on the floor with him.
I'm sorry but I don't understand the $20.00 saving. Is that your estimate of the difference between a tank and a toilet?
From Gary-Swart and wjcandee's posts it looks like she will save $100 or more. I'm not charging labor, only gas, unless I can combine the installation with another trip to her neighborhood; then the gas is free too.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have at most, is a 1995 toilet that sells for $79.00 new. It's broken.
That makes it worth nothing. I throw away twenty toilets in better shape than that every week.
If you are broke, call a few plumbers and see if you can pick up their junk. Their junk is better than your junk. Trust me.

I'm not a novice at this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks