Search results

1. Lee_Leses

Toilet flange still needs repair or replacement

I've been watching this flange for quite some time, it mostly has not been leaking. I know 95% the problem is a bad cement joint between the PVC flange and the PVC 90 that it's connected to. I'm very dubious of any of the easy to use rubber kits / boots that promise to seal the leak. It now...
  2. Lee_Leses

Toilet drain is leaking someplace. :(((

So on Friday the plumber came and installed a new Ultramax II. The toilet was replaced partly to try to correct this leak. Unfortunately I'm still seeing a small drip from the ceiling on the first floor when the toilet is flushed. Could this still be a problem with the wax ring? I'm doubting...
  3. Lee_Leses

First look -- Pentek Big White w/ Bypass

First look -- Pentek Big White w/ Bypass After quite a bit of searching, I was able to buy one for a deeply discounted $48. The way the main housing o-ring is designed to seal looks good -- same as the Pentek Big Blues. The housing is designed to be supported by only the pipes it's mounted...
  4. Lee_Leses

Re-doing my Pentec whole house filter (Big Blue)

I had a Big Blue installed as a whole house filter with a carbon block filter. I'm finding I don't like filtering ALL the house water. I was also told maybe I don't need it because in addition to my water supplier's (Aqua) filtering, they say the water softener I have also acts as a filter...
  5. Lee_Leses

What parts do I need to replace this toilet cut off valve with a similar ball type 90 turn valve?

What parts do I need to replace this toilet cut off valve with a similar ball type 90 turn valve? With the new toilet I want to go with a 90 turn "ball" shut off valve. Maybe the "Brasscraft" brand? I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at here? Is this a chrome sleeve over soldered in 1/2"...
  6. Lee_Leses

Does porcelain wear out and stain more?

Can someone explain to me, does the porcelain or it's finish coating wear out over time and become more porous, thus staining more? It seems to me my 17 year old Ultramax is much harder to keep clean than when it was new, and the "Works" toilet bowl cleaner left a blue ring that seems...
  7. Lee_Leses

TOTO Ultramax II, 1.0 GPF vs. 1.28 GPF?

I apologize if this has already been asked, was not sure where to search. Is the 1.0 GPF a newer version of the Ultramax II than the 1.28 GPF version? Are there any pros or cons for the 1.0, other than the obvious it uses less water? Thank you! Lee
  8. Lee_Leses

Big Blue Filter Housing / O Ring Blues!

So, not sure why this has been so difficult for me. I had a 10 x 4.5 big blue filter housing installed about 2 years ago, when I had the GE softener installed. This is only about the 3rd time I changed the filter. I had to get a strap wrench because the housing would not loosen. Then I took...
  9. Lee_Leses

Comparing this Gerber to a Toto

Can someone help me to compare this model of Gerber toilet to this link for the Toto toilet? I've been wanting to get this UltraMax II for years! Is it still considered to be the best of the best? GERBER 12" ELONG CLO WHT Gerber Viper 12" rough comfort-height white elongated toilet with...
  10. Lee_Leses

Help assessing this estimate I got.

Could someone or several people who know about plumbing read this estimate and tell me what you think of this pricing please? I was a little surprised that they didn't want to do the vanity top for me and that instead they recommended that I consult Lowe's or Home Depot? How does the estimating...
  11. Lee_Leses

Santa Rosa vs. Ultramax II ?

Can I get some opinions about these two one-piece toilets? The Toto is about $200 more. Also what is the Kohler name for biscuit? lol https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-Santa-Rosa-Dune-WaterSense-Compact-Elongated-Chair-Height-1-Piece-Toilet-12-in-Rough-In-Size/999946430...
  12. Lee_Leses

Another PVC drain leak question.

Must be PVC month, LOL. In my row house about 15 years ago the main drain stack was completely replaced from the basement up to the 3rd floor bathroom. Now suddenly I can hear a drip when you drain the vanity sink or the bathtub. I think the plumber who did the job did not use purple primer...
  13. Lee_Leses

Good new tub for larger taller people, or refinish?

I'm on a ten year quest to find a bath tub that will work well for me! When I gutted the bathroom ten years ago, I kept the vintage American Standard tub, because I could not find anything that was as good of a size and shape for me. I'm 6'3", and I can completely straighten my legs out in the...
  14. Lee_Leses

Advice on water softening (or not).

I have my plumber coming in soon to replace all the galvanized pipes in the basement with copper. When he's here doing that, we discussed possibly installing a water softener. I'm VERY confused if this is a good idea or not. I read a number of things. I also brushed up a little on distilling...
  15. Lee_Leses

Questions about how to repair Moen 8" offset sink faucet (cold side).

At my sister's house, she has a faucet in the bathroom similar to this: http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/exploded-parts-views/t4570pt.pdf In a matter of a few days, the cold side has gotten very sloppy and is sort of falling apart. I note it's not leaking yet! The house is about 6 years...
  16. Lee_Leses

Oatey #5 vs. Oatey #95

I don't want to be a pain, but does anyone know the difference between Oatey #5 solder paste vs. Oatey #95 tinning flux? I'm not clear on if I can use either of them as flux for soldering copper, or if one is the wrong thing to put on the pipe and the fittings? Lee
  17. Lee_Leses

Questions about using a Watt's compression fitting with Pex

I picked up some 1/2" Watt's compression unions that I may use to join 1/2" copper to 1/2" pex. I wanted to see if anyone has used this method to know if it produces a strong enough joint that will not have problems later. The Watt's fitting looks like the ferrule is built right into it now...
  18. Lee_Leses

A few PEX questions and Sharkbite brand PEX questions.

Hello All: I'm dealing with a crawlspace in a NJ home. On top of it all, there has been a drain system leak for years from the 1.5" copper kitchen drain pipe at the main stack, and so there is a lot of raw sewage down there. It's nasty! I want to get in and get out as fast as possible...
  19. Lee_Leses

Where can I find install instructions for...

the Toto THU013Z flush valve? I got interested in what holds the flush valve into the Ultramax and if the "O" ring seal ever goes bad how you replace it. I see two screws in there, but I wanted to understand the anatomy better. In a one piece, I guess if the "O" ring goes bad it's like if the...
  20. Lee_Leses

What's the deal with wall hung toilets?

A few quick questions: I see wall hung toilets at work (a hospital) sometimes. Why would anyone want one? Is there some advantage to them? It always seems to me that they will break off the wall! It amazes me that they can handle the weight of people sitting on them, knowing that they're...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks