Questions about using a Watt's compression fitting with Pex

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
I picked up some 1/2" Watt's compression unions that I may use to join 1/2" copper to 1/2" pex. I wanted to see if anyone has used this method to know if it produces a strong enough joint that will not have problems later. The Watt's fitting looks like the ferrule is built right into it now, the ferrule is not a separate part like I'm used to. And Watt's gives you an insert to put on soft plastic tubing.

I want to assume that you do NOT use the insert with the Pex, because the Pex is hard enough that you don't need it. I tried to push the brass insert into a piece of Pex tube, and that does not seem like it is meant to go into Pex, I think the insert is meant for softer tubing?

It's a Watts LFA210 PB962 P 1/2

Also, how careful do you have to be not to crack the Pex or compres it too much? Ferrules onto copper pipe make sense to me and when done correctly with a half turn after they seem tight, they will seal well. I'm more skeptical about a compression fitting on Pex or other plastic tubing, so I wanted to ask if it works well, especially long-term. Do you do about a half turn after it feels tight, just like you would with copper?

I'm also thinking I like the idea of a Watt's compression fitting to make the transition from 1/2" copper to 1/2" pex more than a press on Sharkbite. Any thoughts on that? I think the Watt's fitting would last longer, in the long run. If things go well, I will sweat a copper to pex adapter onto the copper pipes. These fittings are my backup for if things don't go well... LOL!

THANK YOU!

Lee

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you can ALWAYS keep a compression joint from leaking by just turning it a half turn past "tight", you have been lucky. WIthout the insert, ANY plastic line can compress without creating a tight connection.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pex does require the reinforcement inside. Pex isn't always perfectly round, so the round insert may be tough to put in. Sometimes a heat gun or a cup of really hot water will soften it enough to make it easier.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
HJ - I don't do this all the time so I've just been lucky I guess!

jadnashua - Do you use the insert supplied with the Watt's fitting? You don't need any kind of special insert because it's pex, do you? Just checking!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I've never considered a compression fitting for PEX since a standard sweat PEX adapter is readily available and unquestionably reliable.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Yes, the sweat adapter is plan A.

This crawlspace is so nasty, I wanted to have a plan B in case I run into any problems in the hole. Like if I can't get the pipe to drain right to solder or something.

I want to get in and get out ASAP.

LOL!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pex will collapse and leak or come off with decent pressure if it is not squeezed between the compression and the insert.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks