Search results

1. rcatty

Gas fireplace nipple broken off

You are talking way above my pay grade ! Nipple ID? You mind as well be talking Greek to me. Fluted extractor? What would you hold the coupling with a large pipe wrench or vise grips?
  2. rcatty

Th coupling won't budge. For whatever reason, I think rust and time have set in. A few fireplace guys have mentioned that I need to be very careful about disturbing internal pipe connections that could cause leaks that I will not be able to get to to repair. All pipe connections are hidden...
  3. rcatty

Are you talking about unscrewing the coupling that is housing the broken nipple, or unscrewing the nipple from the coupling?
  4. rcatty

I am aware of these tools. However, I thought that if I used a hacksaw I could "gently" saw through the nipple to the threads. I am concerned with disrupting the base pipe and connections as all pipes are concealed in the masonry, hardwood floors, and finished basement ceilings. Thus, I want to...
  5. rcatty

Thank you, that answers one of my major questions. So, then it appears that the "broken pipe" is actually a nipple that is broken. Yes? Is there any reason why I can't use a handheld hacksaw and slowly attempt to cut the inside of the nipple in 2-3 pieces so it can be pried out?
  6. rcatty

I'm not sure what piece you say is the 1/2 " coupling? The broken piece seems to be inside the pipe. Is what I am calling the pipe the coupling? Thank you
  7. rcatty

A few additional pictures
  8. rcatty

No I am not sure, as I am a novice. I have pictures.
  9. rcatty

I have a wood burning masonry fireplace, with a gas log lighter. The gas pipe coming up through the floor of the firebox apparently contained a nipple that screwed into the female receptacle on the pipe. The nipple broke when I attempted to change the fittings on the log lighter, leaving a...
  10. rcatty

Water heater gas valve replacement costs

Your points are well taken. I am at their mercy, and only know what they tell me. I suspect only one is bad, as that one delays turning on once water is consumed. The second tank turns on immediately upon a faucet being opened. The Sears guy wanted to put a new valve in each tank, but I told him...
  11. rcatty

Water heater gas valve replacement costs

I have two 50 gallon Sears (A.O. Smith) hot water heaters hooked up together. Lately, my water temperature has been low despite (a) high setting(s). I took two temp. measurements at the closest sink and the readings were about 20-30 degrees too low for the settings. Sears came out and did a...
  12. rcatty

Discharge rain water into septic sewer pipe

Thank you. I hear the same thing from others.
  13. rcatty

Discharge rain water into septic sewer pipe

I have an area that collects large amounts of water water. Can I drain this water into my sewer line (the sewer pipe is very close to this area) which flows into my septic system? The layout of the area is not conducive to running a trench or other system to dispel the rain water. Thank you.
  14. rcatty

Need exterior sump pump help

I have a tight, rough area of my house where water collects, and the foundation is not graded properly. There is no room to add soil to fix the grading issues. I thought I could install an exterior sump pump in the immediate area. However, freezing will be an issue considering this is in a...
  15. rcatty

New Expansion tank installation....necessary ?

Ron, but what you quote above , refers/applies to "closed " system. My understanding of the requirement for a tank, is an effort to avoid pressure build-up , where the cold water has no place to expand. Hence, the requirement for the tank between the shut-off valve and the tank. If one were to...
  16. rcatty

My reading of the code indicates that an expansion tank is required on "closed" systems only. My understanding is that a closed system means one that has a meter, check-valve, or some other "back-flow prevent(er)" device, that would prevent water from backing up in the line. Specifically...
  17. rcatty

Best Water Heater

I read all the pros and cons about all the different brands of water heaters. It seems like everyone has an opinion about one brand or another. For example, one licensed plumber only sells and installs AO Smith. He swears by them. Yet, another plumber in the same community said he would not...
  18. rcatty

The Illinois Code only requires an expansion tank on closed systems. I don't see any check-valves on the line running back to the large tank. Is there anything I need to look for? Or, on well systems do they never put a check-valve before the large well tank? Thank you
  19. rcatty

Ok, thank you. Finally, do I need a pressure relief valve, and pressure gauge on the tank lines? Or can I use the pressure reading on the well pump apparatus? Thank you.
  20. rcatty

Thank you for your answer. Assuming I were to put a tank in, can it be as close as 2-3 inches from the cold water inlet valve? Thank you, again.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks