Need exterior sump pump help

Users who are viewing this thread

rcatty

Reaction score
I have a tight, rough area of my house where water collects, and the foundation is not graded properly. There is no room to add soil to fix the grading issues. I thought I could install an exterior sump pump in the immediate area. However, freezing will be an issue considering this is in a northern, cold climate where winter temps routinely are below zero. Can an exterior pump be safely installed below the freeze line, and not be subject to freezing? How successful can such a pump operate to move water from say a small, 3'X5' area? Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
That works, but expect to shut the pump down when the pipe going out might freeze. Have a method to drain the pipe before serious freezing. That could include not having a check valve at the pump, or drilling a small hole after the check valve but below the frost level to allow draining back. Watch the slope so the drain pipe does not have a place for water to settle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks