Search results

1. gtmtnbiker

Piston valve vs Diaphragm valve for urinal

The only replacement that might have been done would be to replace the diaphragm. I don't think a dual filter version was installed. I'm not 100% sure but I think the manufacturer is Zurn. I'll see if I can positively identify the valve we're using this weekend. Thanks.
  2. gtmtnbiker

Piston valve vs Diaphragm valve for urinal

Hi, My local church has a few urinals that periodically (2-3 times per year?, maybe more because sometimes problems are not reported to me) run without stopping. The solution has been to hit the top of the valve a few times to get it to stop. I've had the local plumber look at it a few times...
  3. gtmtnbiker

Hot water baseboards versus electric baseboards

I'm part of a committee that is trying to come up with the specifications for adding two bathrooms to my church. One of the design decisions is hot water baseboard heat versus electric baseboard heat. Is one cheaper to install than the other or are they equivalent? I did some rough...
  4. gtmtnbiker

Tankless versus Tank toilets - which to consider for church?

My local church is looking to put in two new bathrooms in the basement so that restroom facilities are more accessible to the food pantry clients. I'm part of a committee that is trying to come up with specifications for this project. One point of discussion is tankless versus tank toilets...
  5. gtmtnbiker

What is maximum PSI to blow water out of PVC pipes?

What about using RV anti-freeze? That's what my in-laws use to winterize pipes in a summer house in VT.
  6. gtmtnbiker

Issue with Taco 241 swet-check

Thanks again for the help, nhmaster. I was looking at your profile. You already posted 1000+ times, an average of 6 posts a day. Very impressive!
  7. gtmtnbiker

Thanks nhmaster. That seems to have done the trick. Do you think it is likely that the problem might occur again before the end of the heating season? In any case, I plan to open up both valves and clean them out this summer.
  8. gtmtnbiker

About a couple of days ago, we developed a problem with our heating system where one zone continues to put out heat even though the circulator pump is off. I believe the issue to be the Taco 241 Swet Check (flow check valve) has some sort of blockage such that it's not closing up correctl...
  9. gtmtnbiker

Replacing Toilet supply line

I completed the project about a month ago but I'm just getting around to posting my feedback. Per jadnashua's suggestion, I used a Brasscraft angle stop with a chrome pipe after unsweating the old one. It worked like a charm. I scraped the old wax off the toilet horn and the flange...
  10. gtmtnbiker

BINGO! I think you're right that I have something similar to this. I checked their Speedway catalog and sure enough it's there. I went upstairs and looked at the valve handle and it says Brass Craft. I don't know why I didn't think to look at it before. Thanks for the help.
  11. gtmtnbiker

Verdeboy, The reason that I want to unsweat the pipe is to avoid opening up the wall. I was going to clean it up, solder on a female adapter, and then thread a 1/2" chrome nipple. A new shroud will cover up the female adapter and copper. Then I can screw on the angle stop at the end. If...
  12. gtmtnbiker

Hi HJ, I'll try to post a better picture tonight. I'm not sure that it's a retrofit because all three toilets are plumbed similarly. The toilets are all original to the house. I looked at the upstairs toilet and see that there's 1/2" pipe attached to the 1/2" pipe and angle stop via a...
  13. gtmtnbiker

Hi Jimbo, This is a gray area for me. I understand the reasons you need to be a licensed plumber in Mass when doing gas fitting or implementing new supply/drains as it protects the public. It is my understanding that it's ok for homeowners to do repairs of existing work. If I look at...
  14. gtmtnbiker

I would like to avoid opening the wall if possible. If I went that route, I would put a drop-ear elbow with female threads and secure it to some blocking. In case it wasn't clear, I'm referring to unsweating the "chrome pipe" that it attached to the 1/2 copper. Why do you think it will not...
  15. gtmtnbiker

I'm in the middle of a project where I'm painting the bathroom. To make it easier for me, I pulled the toilet out. Plus, I intended to replace the "nipple" since it was painted and I want the chrome look. As you can see from the attached picture, it's not a nipple that I can unthread. There's...
  16. gtmtnbiker

How to heat copper pipe downstream and non-accessible?

Could you take a picture or two of the room to show us where the dead space with the pipes are located? I'm having a hard time visuallizing what this space looks like.
  17. gtmtnbiker

Purging air from boiler

I noticed that the bleeder valves are placed on the 90 deg elbow when the pipe transition from horizontal to vertical. I guess when the water goes down, air tends to rise and stay trapped in the elbow. Does this make sense? So what do plumbers use to open these bleeder valves on the...
  18. gtmtnbiker

Purging air from boiler

Thanks for the reminder. I should have looked at the responses to my previous posting. I ended up doing what you suggested. That is to run the garden hose outside and flushing it for about 5 minutes until I could no longer hear any air gurgling through the lines. Then I would leave the...
  19. gtmtnbiker

Purging air from boiler

My system has a supply manifold with three circulator pumps and isolation valves. There is a return manifold with a boiler drain and isolation valve for each zone. From reading the archived posts in this forum and other forums, it's my understanding that to purge all the air from my boiler...
  20. gtmtnbiker

Boiler return temperature

On my boiler (Weil-McLain CGa5) , I have a temperature/pressure gauge on the supply side. There's no gauge on the return side. In the manual, it stresses that the return temp should not be less than 130 deg. How is this verified? Should there be a temp gauge on the return? Or does one...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks